VMware Cloud Community
Eublet
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Password wierdness. Any help?

I just built a new ESX 3.5 server a few days ago. The first. I am going to build a VC server soon. I have a license file that will go on the VC. For now, the ESX server is unlicensed, and running in evaluation mode. I have connected to this thing 15 or 20 times using the root account and password, both from a VI client and console. I built a couple of VM's and deployed them.

After coming in one morning, I can no longer log onto this server at all. Nothing has changed to my knowledge, and I seriously doubt anyone else could have changed it. Anyone seen this before? Does it have anything to do with not being licensed yet?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The licensing status won't affect your root login, it'll just affect your ability to start VMs (once it has expired). Are you having this problem at the console / VI client? Just in case you're connecting via SSH, the root login is disabled by default from using SSH.

0 Kudos
Eublet
Contributor
Contributor

Console, VI Client, anything. I've reset the password now, but I was just hoping to understand what might have happened. It doesn't make any sense to me.

0 Kudos
cmanucy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This doesn't seem to fit your problem exactly, but this is one issue I know of - you CAN set a password via the console (ssh or tty) that the VI client can't accept. It has to do with certain special characters, which I'm not going to even try and guess which are good and which are bad Smiley Happy

However, even if this were the case for you, you should have been able to still log in via the console.

----

Carter Manucy

---- Carter Manucy
0 Kudos