VMware Cloud Community
fcastill
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Partitioning please advise

Hi,

I am setting up an ESX server, I have two arrays (VDs) setup on the actual server. I am planning on installing my boot, root, swap and vmkcore partitions on my small VD 73 GB RAID1 and the vmfs3 partition on the second VD 1.5 TB RAID5 (no NAS, all storage is local). Is this alright? This is my 1st VMWare installation, I just want to be sure.

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

That's fine, 73GB is more than enough for ESX.

0 Kudos
jonathanp
Expert
Expert

you may want to create separate partitions for:

/tmp

/var/log

/home

around 2GB each this will be plenty of space for those partitions and since you have 73GB for this...

to prevent the root file system / to be filled up.

and you may also create a vmfs on this 73GB to place your iso images and template if you want.

regards

0 Kudos
fcastill
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the advise, What is better having two virtual disks the way I have it or just big one single virtual disk?

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

sounds fine, I would indeed setup 2 vdisks. and i would create a /tmp of about 1GB... otherwise VMware will create a ramdisk for /tmp which will cost you, how surprising, ram... I rather use my ram for the VM's.

Duncan

0 Kudos
fcastill
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for educating me on ESX Partitioning. I am ready to set my server up Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
swaterhouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The insatllation giude has a really nice chart towards the end of what you should use for your partitions.

0 Kudos