VMware Cloud Community
LiorSAN
Contributor
Contributor

ESX Installation cannot find drivers for my storge controller

Hi folks,

How do i add drivers on the boot cd? i have the intel matrix controller and the installtion wizard can't find anything and won't let me continue with the installtion. I have already downloaded the proper drivers for my Intel controller but what i should with those files?

Thank U ALL!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

FYI: this thread has been moved to the Installation and Upgrade forum.

Oliver

VMTN User Moderator

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

if this controller is not no the current storage HCL list (www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_san_guide.pdf) and is reasonabaly new then chances are it does not have the drivers in the VMkernel.

You need a controller that is on the supported list, I have searched the above mentioned docuement and can not find any reference to an Intel Matrix controller.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

Kind Regards

Tom,

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
LiorSAN
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I have already installed the server with a supported Adaptec SCSI controller. Is there any possibility to add the driver VIA Virtual Center? The problem is that i cannot see my SATA disks.

Thank U!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

SATA controllers are not supported. If you'd like to use SATA drives you will need to purchase one of the controllers listed here: http://vmprofessional.com/index.php?content=sata_faq. These controllers work because the are almost identical to SCSI RAID controllers, so ESX uses those drivers. You could also use a supported SAS controller, but the SATA controllers listed at the link will be cheaper.

0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dave is correct. SATA is not currently a supported item in ESX; however, it will be come December, when VI 3.5 is released.

-Jon-

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
0 Kudos
LiorSAN
Contributor
Contributor

Good News!!!

Thank u all mates!

0 Kudos