VMware Cloud Community
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESX 3.5 and ESX 3.1 question

I just upgraded one of my host in a cluster to 3.5, update 3, and now I am running in a mix mode. I have ESX 3.01 and 3.5. I have couple of VM's are now in ESX 3.5 in a cluster, I didnt upgrade VMware tools yet on the VMs which are running on 3.5 host. My quesiton is do I need to monitor anything for errors? what do I need to look out for? because I am thinking to upgrade rest of my host to 3.5, but want to make sure there is no issue.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
10 Replies
williambishop
Expert
Expert

As long as your VC supports it, and everything is still running, then you should be good to upgrade the rest.

Personally, every time I start thinking about going to U3, some new bug comes out.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, Which bugs are you talking about? can you be little bit specfic? I dont want to upgrade all if there is a known issue..

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

This was the last one...a few days ago. Bug might be too strong a word, think more of "unexpected results"....

I've been running 3.5 u1 since shortly after it came out, and I'm bloody paranoid....I'll move when posts regarding u3 calm down. Don't even get me started on the upgrade to 4.0.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for your info, I would rather wait before upgrading all of my cluster to 3.5, becuase we can't afford downtime...

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

I haven't had issues with 3.5u1 since I put it in, and most other shops I know are at that level and staying put. You can go to 3.5, hell, you can go to u3....Would I? No, but you're not me. I'm overly cautious, but I'm happy with u1.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
atyer
Contributor
Contributor

Is anybody aware of an update with regards to the KB article 1008130 IO FAILURE on ESX3.5 u3.

I am currently experience major instabilty on some of my ESX servers, with all of the mentioned symptoms.

Should I be considering dropping back to update2 or update1 instead, or is the consensus that a bug fix is imminent?

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been running ESX 3.5, update 3 since the day I posted that question, and I have not seen any errors as of yet.. it's been running just fine... but I am monitoring daily to make sure there are no errors.. keep my finger crossed.

0 Kudos
williambishop
Expert
Expert

It is not a widescale issue. It does however affect a small percentage of the installations, he is asking if it has been patch deployed yet.

The answer is, not to my knowledge.

--"Non Temetis Messor."
0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I did not install the patch becuase I didn't need to. I did speak with VMware regarding that article, and they stated as long as you have been running fine w/o error, then no need to install an additional patch.

0 Kudos
sandipsshimpi
Contributor
Contributor

Dear All,

I am sorry if i am putting this question in wrong post, but just having one query that in my ESX Infrastructure Client i am not able to find or get one vmimage i have checked all physical esx hosts but couldnt find particular image but that image is up and running fine as i am able to get the RDP, Ping etc.,

Can someone pls reply?

Brgds,

Sandip SS

0 Kudos