VMware Cloud Community
Monoman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 Update1 - upgrade or remediate?

Will the Update Manager install Update 1 on ESX 3.5.0 hosts?

First VC 2.5 was upgraded to VC 2.5 Update 1. Then ran a scan and remediation on a test server. The version afterwards was 3.5.0, 82663. I then booted from the the 3.5 -> 3.5 Update 1 CD, ran the upgrade and the version is still the same.

Maybe I did something wrong but it looks like Update Manager installs Update 1 and all of the patches.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Maybe I did something wrong but it looks like Update Manager installs Update 1 and all of the patches.

YES, that's true. Check on your esx console with esxupdate -l query

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
christianZ
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

YES, that's true. Check on your esx console with esxupdate -l query

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESX 3.5 Update 1 is available as a patch called "ESX350-Update01 - PATCH" so it makes sense that Update Manager treats it like any other patch.

Check your baseline to see if its listed.

mike_laspina
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Hi,

My hosts were correctly updated with Update Manager. Make sure your schedule is working and you have selected the appropriate baselines, I selected all of them. So far so good.

There is one thing you need to watch out for that may cause trouble.

I found that the security profile changed for HA you may have to select aam in the security profile after the updates.

I did not have time to investigate why it changed.

oh.

Don't rely on VC for the version, it sometimes take forever to update. Restarting mgmt-vmware on the host will update it.

There are some issues right now with version stamps, so be wary this thread talks about it.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/914104

Message was edited by: mike.laspina

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009