VMware Cloud Community
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.02 install "unable to find disks"

have a Dell r900 (eval), with 3 146gb sAs drives as one array. When attempting to install esx 3.02, after clicking "Accept agreement", I get "unable to find disks". ESX cannot see the disks and aborts setup.

thx in advance.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

What sort of RAID controller does it come with? ESX only supports a limited set of controllers. You can see the list here: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_io_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Perc6

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

Make sure the firware/BIOS is up to date for the server and controller.

DB

DB
0 Kudos
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

Dell Perc6 is not in the compatability matrix. Darn. This server has 16cores, 32gb RAM; perfect for testing.

0 Kudos
boydd
Champion
Champion

I wouldn't give up so quick. Make sure the perc6 is at the latest firmware. See if the controller supports SCSI emulation (To mask SAS and SATA).

DB

DB
0 Kudos
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

The R900 isn't officially for sale yet, it was loaned to us by Dell for eval. The server setup disk has ESX302 listed as an OS and even has the drivers. But I still get the error. Nor can I get drivers or firmware of the Dell site; service tag unlisted.

We are able to install any windows OS on it without issue.

Where can I set scsi emulation mode? The controller settings or BIOS don't have such a setting.

0 Kudos
z-man
Contributor
Contributor

Our Organization is in the same boat as you- with the same equipment, configuration, and issue.

The beta CD (DELL OPEN MANAGE system installation CD) DOES have the option to load ESX Server 3.0.2+ (+ ?) which you can select- and the utility partition is created- but the installation doesn't really work as you can't ever get the disks to be recognized and the error message indicates that there are no disks in which to create a file system on. I found nothing in the Bios (catamount) that you can change/set to alter the RAID controller.

In researching this- I am able to get RedHat 4 update 5 and RedHat 5 to load- using drivers I acquired from LSI (they are pretty much all the same - Version 3.13-1 using the internal MegaRaid SAS/SATA feature line 8344ELP or 8408E drivers)(which I got from /proc/devices in RHEL 4/5 and investigating what Hex device it was recognizing) . Although there are drivers for RedHat 3 update 7-8 - making driver floppies and using ESX DD at the ESX server install (does ask you for the driver disk- and even loads the driver for megaraid but still doesn't find the disks in which to create file system). It looks like ESX server is using 2.4.21-47.0.1 kernel (uname-a) I'm guessing is RedHat 3 update8 but VMware-ized.

If you look at LSI's site- the newest Megaraid chipsets only support RedHat 4 update 5 and RedHat 5.0. And yes, since the server is not yet GA'd - there is very limited information on it at this time

So therefore, we are stuck too- at the moment. It appears that there is something coded in any of the drivers to only recognize current/recognized adapters/chips (like the PERC 5E, 5i, 4D C, etc).

I would hang on! I would bet that at some point either DELL will come out with the correct (correcteded- or new) drivers for their new line of products or Vmware will release a patch/fix for it to work (or come out with a new ESX version). Why? because in more research- the PERC 6i IS supported in ESX server 3.0.2+ yes, 3.0.2 plus - which from what I have found out is 3.0.2 with a kernel update (a link goes to a DELL site that keeps looping you to the same support site) which I can't find anywhere!

Z.

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The drivers might be there, but i dont think the PCI-IDs for the new PERCs are mapped to the driver in modules.dep. The next release of ESX will have support for this. In the mean time you can probably use boot from SAN.

Why? because in more research- the PERC 6i IS supported in ESX server 3.0.2+ yes, 3.0.2 plus - which from what I have found out is 3.0.2 with a kernel update (a link goes to a DELL site that keeps looping you to the same support site) which I can't find anywhere!

Can you let me know what the link is? I hate broken links and would like to fix it.

Bala, Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

We only have 30 days with this loaner, so I wanted to get it up and running to start our VmWare evaluation. We do have plenty of Qlogic so we'll try boot from san. Our lab hardware is actually 3 dell 2900s (on order), so hopefully this 'workaround' will be good for now.

thx everyone for the assistance.

0 Kudos
BMCVMWareTeam
Contributor
Contributor

Let me know how your Boot from SAN works because that is what I was going to try. The PERC 6 stuff is simply not recognized with ESX.

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try the new ESX 3.0.2 Update 1, that was released today. It should have the latest drivers and PERC 6 should work

Bala, Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos
Deb0
Contributor
Contributor

I got the word on the new Esx from the Dell rep yesterday. The new version works like a charm. Thx everyone for your help on this. Now i can get started as I await our proof of concept equipment to arrive.

I'll let you know how the boot from SAN works.

0 Kudos