VMware Cloud Community
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0 with Vista

I'm attempting to install Vista x64 on an esx 3.0 server. I have tried with both the physical dvd and an iso of the file. Both come up saying that it is missing the cd/dvd-rom drivers. I've tried a variety of different fixes including having two cd-roms. Nothing has worked at all with this. Am I missing some trick here? It boots fine from the cd-rom but then it can't see it even though it booted just fine from it?

These are on HP dl380 g5's if that helps.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Did you download this media and then burn it? If so, try the physical media in another physical server and see if the problem persists. This symptom is usually indicative of a corrupted ISO download.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor

As stated I tried both the original media (not downloaded, but straight from microsoft) and an iso I created from the original media.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Vista as a guest OS is only supported on 3.0.3+. What build of ESX 3.0 are you running? If you create a new virtual machine, do you even have the option for Vista x64?

0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor

I have the option for Vista x64 and Vista 32 bit.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a physical machine where you can test the media to see if it behaves the same way? Or maybe even try creating a new blank VM and trying to mount the media again? Your virtual CD/DVD Drive is connected to Client Device?

0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor

Tried this on my ESX host on a new VM. Same problem. I tried it with VM Workstation on my desktop here and it worked just fine. So I assume the actual DVD is fine.

0 Kudos
muzscman
Contributor
Contributor

Already tried. That did not work.

0 Kudos