VMware Cloud Community
shadycat75
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0 licensing problems

I have 2 esx servers 3.0 using LM licensing on a server 2003 with virtual centre to administer them. We just had a powercut so i had to down the entire network but when the esx servers came back up. One of them wont allow me to start machines with 2 cpu's, i shut down the working esx and brought the one that has problems up on its own. Looked at the licensing and it says 2 out of 4 licenses in use. When both are up it looks ok from the license server and additionally both esx license config state that i have 2 cpu licenses, 2 for vmotion etc. Reconfigured the license for the suspect esx server but i have the same problem. I have had to migrate the management to the working server and they are woking fine but i am lost were to start to pinpoint this issue. Is this a reinstallation or i am missing something obvious.

Any advise would be good.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

So homany CPUs are you licensed for 2 or 4? Does each ESX hosts have 2 CPUs? Take a look at the License file with notepad/wordpad you will be able to see how many cpus it covers?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

I've run into this issue before on 3.0.2 hosts. Not sure if you've already done this, but go to the licensing tab, and edit the settings, and then save them. All looked ok when I did it, but just edit'ing the settings, and then saving them again allowed me to start the vm's again.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
shadycat75
Contributor
Contributor

Users of PROD_ESX_FULL: (Total of 4 licenses issued; Total of 4 licenses in use) this is with both servers running, with a single server i am using 2 licenses and they are identical set ups. So 4 licenses in total, 2 per server, the hosts have been migrated to the working esx (and work) and they do have 2 CPUs.

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Cut and paste the contents of the license file into the license checker at.

http://www.vmware.com/checklicense/

If the licence looks OK stop/start/reread the license file on the license server might help.

shadycat75
Contributor
Contributor

Licenses are as follows

LICENSE TOTALS:

License Count

VC Management Server 1

VMotion 4

VC Agent for ESX Server 4

VMware HA 4

VMware DRS 4

ESX Server Enterprise/Standard 4

VMware Consolidated Backup 4

A couple of questions regarding stopping and starting the license server, i have another esx that is using it and currently hosting 20 machines (as i have one that will not) if i stop the license server and restart it again will it affect the working esx server. Additionally if i remove the problem esx from my VI console and then add it again to the cluster will i encounter any problems or is there anything i should be aware of?

0 Kudos
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have stopped and started the license server before with no ill-effects. You will lose some of the functionality as there is no HA or DRS but should still be able to manage the single node and the VM's will not be affected.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Actually if you lose your license server (or restart it) the licenses will not be affected on your ESX hosts or VC for 14 days - HA and DRS should still work - you would not be able to add a host to VC and a few other but all major functionality should be there

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You didn't mention what version of VC you are running on. Early versions had a similar problem. Check out this KB article[/url]. VC 2.0.1 fixed the issue

Also, verify that in the configuration tab for the ESX host, under Licensed Features that you have the correct ESX Server Edition. It might be as simple as editing that and selecting the right version.

Shadycat
Contributor
Contributor

I am still on version 2.0.0, i have removed the server and it wont let me add it again, keeps saying not enough licenses., I will look into upgrading to version 2.0.1 and see if i can add the second esx to my VC

0 Kudos
Shadycat
Contributor
Contributor

I am using VC 2.0.0 ( i think, didnt install it myself), i have found VMware VirtualCenter 2.0.1 Patch 1, this download is a 500mb + set of files, if i install it on my existing server with the VC client is there anything i should know? Will it cause any downtime of my VM's etc, Will i have to reinstall the license file or will it do this as part of the install?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Remember VC is a proxy so the VMs will continue to run on their respective ESX hostss - if you do an upgrade I think it will upgrade existing licensing server so noyou will not need the license file -

0 Kudos
Shadycat
Contributor
Contributor

I forgot to mention i have repaired the VC installation but same issue. Would it be better to reinstall the VC version 2.0.0 or is it best to upgrade to patch 1 - 2.0.1, i am concerned about the versions i.e esx 3.0.0 with VC 2.0.0 and esx 3.0.0 with VC 2.0.1, do i need to upgrade my esx boxes to 3.0.1?

0 Kudos
shadycat75
Contributor
Contributor

winstein5 thanks for the help so far, i have created a workstation6 virtual machine of esx server 3.00 and added it to my VC, looks like i may have to reinstall the problem esx server, is there anything that i can clear on the server (or the VC) that could be causing this issue or would you advise a clean install of my esx server.

Please advise

0 Kudos
mstahl75
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Other than some features that are only available when running ESX 3.5 upgrading to a new version of VC, such as 2.5 Update 1, will still allow you to administer your environment -- it will work with previous versions of ESX without issues. The caution on earlier versions of VC is that the upgrade is a little confusing when it comes to the database. Be sure to read the prompt carefully. It has been a while since I have actually ran those upgrades but if you are not careful you could wipe out your database during the upgrade. It isn't the end of the world but you would have to set some stuff up again and would lose historical data. If you read the prompts carefully you shouldn't have a problem though.

That said, I would probably upgrade to the newest version. As has been mentioned, your VMs will continue to run on the ESX hosts without problems.

Though, I'm not 100% I understand where you are at right now. If you have the problem ESX server in VC but you just don't have licensing you might try removing the ESX host from VC and try adding it back. Then try to add the license again.

0 Kudos
shadycat75
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help everyone, its been a good crash course to get me started, i eventually had to reinstall the problem esx server, due to the fact that i could attach a vmworkstation6 6 esx server i created for testing and have full use of it.

My problem server i tried a repair but same issue so a full reinstall it was.

Thanks again

0 Kudos