VMware Cloud Community
robkelley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESX 3.0 copy function missing

Hi

Sorry to use ESX 3.5 area but there is no 3.0 area.

I have a ESX 3.0 and have added a datastore (iSCSI), I want copy some VMs from from one datastore to the other but the copy feature is missing from the datastore browser.

I am used to using vSphere v4 and this is how I would do it.

Any idea why it isn't there, also missing is 'New Folder' and 'Upload'

Is this a version issue?

The VIClient is v2.0 that came off the ESX server.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think an easier option would be clone the VM(s) or use VMware Converter to "copy" the VM's to the new datastore.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How bout using something like Veeam FastSCP

0 Kudos
robkelley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have looked at that but I need to do the copy local and not via my workstation.

Would SSH and a console copy work with the VM files?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think an easier option would be clone the VM(s) or use VMware Converter to "copy" the VM's to the new datastore.

0 Kudos
robkelley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I like the idea of using VM Convertor to copy them, but does all the data that is being transferred have to go via the PC that is running the convertor tool?

I am sat in MK and the server is in Glasgow so all the copying needs to be done localy.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

where is/are the VM(s) you want to copy? If at the destination, you could install converter onto the VM you want to copy and convert powered on machine "local machine"

0 Kudos
robkelley
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

As per my 1st post:

I have a ESX 3.0 and have added a datastore (iSCSI), I want copy some VMs from from one datastore to the other but the copy feature is missing from the datastore browser.

0 Kudos