VMware Cloud Community
gss4w
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0 compatibility with SCSI RAID controller using SATA drives?

I am researching purchasing a Dell PowerEdge 1950 to use with ESX Server 3.0. I have a question about hard drive compatibility. The I/O guide says that: "IDE RAID and SATA RAID are not supported for the VMFS file system." The PERC 5/i controller for the Dell server is listed as supported in the I/O guide, and it can also be configured with either SAS or SATA drivers. However, when I configure it with SATA drives the Dell configuration setup notes that SATA drives are not supported by ESX. I am trying to find out if this is true or not? Does anyone know if there is a difference in how the drivers access the PERC RAID controller for SATA and SAS drives. My thought process is that if VMware is providing a driver that works with the controller, then it should work with either type of driver. But I don't have any way of confirming this for certain. I anyone has information that can provide a definitive answer one way or the other I would appreciate it. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You should be fine with SATA drives. You will want to configure a RAID set rather than just mounting the drives as individual drives. If this is for production though you'd best stick with SAS drives for better performance.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/627549