VMware Cloud Community
demz
Expert
Expert

ESX 3.0.3 ?

Does anyone update to the latest ESX 3.0.3 version ?

Is the upgrade safe, nothing has gone wrong ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
demz
Expert
Expert

Nobody upgrade their ESX 3.0.2 to 3.0.3 ?

0 Kudos
Rockapot
Expert
Expert

I suppose some people will eventually however most of the community would probably look at the 3.5 route..

3.0.3 does add VMware Update Manager support which is quite a nice addition for those not wanting to go with 3.5 just yet, especially considering the recent license bug of 11/08/08

Carl

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would agree with Carl, most people I would think would move to the 3.5 route instead of upgrading their hosts to 3.0.3

I haven't gone through all the features that were added yet, but I glanced at a few and they are nice for the 3.0.* environment. It did just come out last week so I would assume that most people aren't going to put it into production for a while, but people will start playing with it soon.

Myself, Instead of playing with 3.0.3, I'll be putting my time into getting ready to shift to 3.5 later down the road.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Do you have a need to upgrade ESX 3.0.3? How easy is it for you to upgrade your ESX host? Does it require downtown at all or fully VMotionable and if that's easy you might want to test it but no sense to upgrade it now since ESX 3.5 U2 is available. You may want to upgrade straight to ESX 3.5 U1 version. If you can wait until ESX 3.5 U2 is fixed with licensing bug than that would be more preferrable upgrade path. No matter what you choose, make sure planning it thoroughly and backup all your virtual machines.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
demz
Expert
Expert

Hi,

I can't do what I want !

I'm in a big firm with very strict processes, I have first to qualify the 3.5 version before considering an upgrade.

So I'm building another cluster in 3.5, but the two ones already running with some production VMs have to stay in the qualified version 3.0.x

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well that kinda sucks, but those regulations I'm sure are put in for a reason. If it was me in your position I would hold off on 3.0.3 for a little bit since it was just released unless you're a cutting edge shop. Do a little testing on it if you can, I'm sure other people will put it to the test and write about it soon enough.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "