VMware Cloud Community
Mike_Earnshaw
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.1 - Creating a Windows XP Image - fail "setup cannot copy file: vmscsi.sys"

I am trying to create a VM within a running ESX 3.0.1 system running plenty of W2K3 VM's. When I get to the stage of connecting the floppy with the VMSCSI driver, windows setup informs me that "setup cannot copy file: vmscsi.sys". Via *nix console, the floppy image looks good at approx 1.4M, setup got past the initial stage of presenting the selection for VMSCSI so I believe the process so far is good ... maybe I have a bad image? I tried looking for the flopy image on the CD but couldn't see it. I even contemplated moving ESX to 3.0.2 ... but that seems drastic and we haven't done any testing yet.

Can I download the SCSi floppy from somewhere and try the "old" way?

Any suggestions or pointers warmly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
srcurrie
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem noted above but in ESX 3.5. If I choose ESC (Skip File) it goes onto the next file and cannot load that one either. If I let it go and install windows it tries to start normally but then throws a STOP Error and quits.

I am goin to try a physical floppy disk.

Any answer to this?

srcurrie

0 Kudos
mcelichowski
Contributor
Contributor

I had a similar issue when building a Win XP client on ESX 3.0.1. The only thing that fixed it for me was doing an install of Win XP without any service packs. Previously I had a build that included SP2 and got the same error you did. Now I have to run the service pack installer but at least it got me up and running. Not sure if you had an integrated Win 2003 image but it wouldn't hurt to try something without the service pack.

0 Kudos
krishna11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try with driver available at: if you are configured with Bus logic

If you find this answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

Message was edited by: krishna11

0 Kudos
mfisk
Contributor
Contributor

I get the same result with workstation image

0 Kudos