VMware Cloud Community
bheusmann
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 3.0.0/3.0.1 VCS 2.0.1 Upgrade to ESX 3.5 and VCS 2.5

Hi,

I have 4 ESX hosts, 3 are running v.3.0.0 and 1 is running v.3.0.1 My Virtual Center Server is at v.2.0.1 They are NOT connected to a SAN, all the VM's are hosted on local drives. These are HP DL380 servers.

I wanted to know what the upgrade order/process would be? Would I have to upgrade my 4 ESX servers to v.3.0.2 to be compatible with VCS 2.5, then upgrade my Virtual Center to version 2.5, followed by upgrading my 4 ESX servers to the final version 3.5? I've been using ESX for over a year and love the product however, I hate to say I didn't keep up with the updates. Again, all the VM's are located on local disks on each ESX Host. Thanks for any help.

Bryan Heusmann

Sr. Systems Engineer / USAID

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Bryan, VC 2.5 is able to manage 3.0.0 and 3.0.1 (latest updates for 3.0.1 are recommended). See page 2 here - . There's an upgrade guide here to look at - . You would need to upgrade VC to 2.5 before you could use it to manage ESX 3.5 hosts. Upgrading to 3.0.2 on your hosts would require VC 2.0.1 Patch 2, so it might be easiest to upgrade VC to 2.5 and then your hosts directly to 3.5.

You'll want to search the forums for VC 2.5 database. Numerous people have had upgrade issues especially when using MSDE (you would have to upgrade) and with database permissions. You'll definitely want to backup your virtualcenter db before you upgrade it. There's some good reading here - http://vmware-land.com/Vmware_Links.html#VI35.