VMware Cloud Community
sambino
Contributor
Contributor

EMC Firmware upgrade VMware really slow now

Hi All

We have 2 ESX 3.5 SP3 hosts sitting on on a EMC Clariion SAN. EMC upgraded the firmware for us last week and now our VMware environment is running like a dog. Its taking 5 mins to boot any VM up.

Anyone else had similer problems ?they are looking into it but say the SAN is ok . Any idea which performance graphs I can use in Virtual Center to prove this has caused the problems ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kooltechies
Expert
Expert

Hi,

A silliy question but can you confirm if you have the correct multipathing seetings , for clariion that should be mostly MRU. You can consider having a look at the VMware storage configuration guide.

Thanks,

Samir

P.S : If you think that the answer is helpful please consider rewarding points.

Blog : http://thinkingloudoncloud.com || Twitter : @kooltechies || P.S : If you think that the answer is correct/helpful please consider rewarding points.
0 Kudos
JoeLyons
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Can you provide details on the version of clariion and the firmware update applied?

Also was it the sp updated or the switches?

I would also check disk queue lenghts in VC perf mon.

Also try creating a new VM and see if it suffers the same fate.

Joe

Remember to back EVERYTHING up before you change ANYTHING and consider awarding points if answers where helpful to you.
0 Kudos
sambino
Contributor
Contributor

Hi its a Clarrion 300I its now running 02.24.301.5.022 they updated SP and Switches

Ill check the other steps you suggested

0 Kudos
Ekner
Contributor
Contributor

This problem solved? .. Have had a similar problem with a Dell SAN upgrade, rebooting our ESX-servers did wonders!

0 Kudos
Rohail2004
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

has this been resolved? because we are about to upgrade our EMC SAN... just checking to make sure we dont run into this issue.

0 Kudos