VMware Cloud Community
lonecedar2
Contributor
Contributor

Do I need to install 3.0.2 update 1

All

I have a question concerning the update 3.0.2 Update 1. It shows a different build number but the patches it includes I have already installed. If I keep up with the critical and security patches should I still install the update 1? Is there anything provided by that update that I am not getting by installing the released patches?

Thanks

-Pat

0 Kudos
10 Replies
lonecedar2
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have an answer to this?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Might want to check out these links

and

When should customers use the ESX Server 3.0.2 Update 1 ISO rather than simply use patches?

• New hardware (which require new ISO to boot).

• Install Update ISO.

• Existing hardware with current release of ESX Server.

• Use Update ISO to catch up to latest patches and drivers.

• Existing hardware with older release of ESX Server.

• Use Update ISO to upgrade to latest release.

So for new installs you probably want to use it in you are staying with 3.0.2, but unless you need a missing hardware feature or support you might be fine going along as you are

dinny
Expert
Expert

I raised this question twice with VMware support - getting a different answer each time Smiley Happy

The first time I was told that I did need to install it (even though I was fully patched on esx 3.02 - otherwise I would not be supported for VCB 1.1 (from memory)

I was told that it did contain additional drivers for new hardware - that were not included in the 3.02 patches.

When I actually installed update 1 on a fully patched server (via esxupdate and the tarball) it ran without doing anything (because everything was already installed)

All version numbers I could find on an ESX server with or without the upgrade were identical.

Then raised another call to ask if it was different specifically what else was installed - and again if different how could I identify a server that had update 1 from a server that just had the esx 3.02 patches.

Agfter a lot of umming and ahhing they finally agreed that there was no difference at all.

Why they don't specifically say that in the documentation beats me...

Dinny

lonecedar2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Dinny

Are you saying that the build number did not change with update 1? I find that interesting.

Thanks - I'm going to leave these new servers alone since the rest of our production hosts are showing the same build. We are not planning on installing any new hardware at this time.

-Pat

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

I can't comment on an upgrade done via the CD (as I only used the tarball) - but I could find no different build numbers, when comparing a server with the latest ESX 3.02 patches and one that I had run the ESX 3.02 update 1 tarball against (which also had the latest ESX 3.02 patches.

You'd imagine it would be the same for the CD - but I guess you never know... Smiley Wink

Dinny

0 Kudos
RMQuatro
Contributor
Contributor

I just did a 3.0.2 system to Update 1 upgrade via tarball last night with the esxupdate method.

The system was a 3.0.1 when initially installed, and was updated to 3.0.2 last fall via CD.

It ran through the full update process without issue, and I updated the VMWare tools in each guest. About the only thing we see different right now is a relative improvememnt on scripted snapshot throughput to a NAS. It was previously horrible, and is now doing about 6.5GB/hr, which is not great, but the NAS it's going to isn't that fast, and everything is running through a single NIC at the moment. The host is an HP Proliant DL380 G5 4x2.333 with 8GB RAM and 6 Windows Guests

0 Kudos
lonecedar2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks RMQuatro

What build number do you show now that you have updated your 3.0.2 to

Update 1?

-Pat

0 Kudos
RMQuatro
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go:

1. esxupdate query

Installed software bundles:

-

Name -

--- Install Date --- --- Summary ---

3.0.1-32039 05:42:20 07/24/07 Full 3.0.1 release of VMware ESX Server

3.0.2-52542 14:21:26 08/20/07 Full 3.0.2 release of VMware ESX Server

3.0.2-61618 19:42:20 02/28/08 3.0.2 Update 1 of VMware ESX Server

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert

Hiya,

I take it that you didn't have any of the ESX 3.02 patches applied prior to the upgrade to update 1 - is that correct?

I'm guessing that the update 1 just checks whether all the patches that it contains already exist - and if they are all there doesn't bother actually installing anything - and hence then doesn't add any new build info.

Dinny

0 Kudos
RMQuatro
Contributor
Contributor

This was a 3.0.1 initial install, with a 3.0.2 CD used shortly after for the upgrade, followed by the 3.0.2 Update 1 tarball package yesterday. Nothing was installed/patched seperately.

Now, what leaves me scratching the head is this fresh install from a 3.0.2 Update 1 CD (no patching) on another system my the test lab:

1. esxupdate query

Installed software bundles:

-

Name -

--- Install Date --- --- Summary ---

3.5.0-64607 10:31:34 02/23/08 Full bundle of ESX 3.5.0-64607

3.0.2-52542 11:32:58 02/23/08 Full 3.0.2 release of VMware ESX Server

3.0.2-61618 14:13:08 02/23/08 3.0.2 Update 1 of VMware ESX Server

Now, I have an odd problem with this motherboard (X5DL8-GG) in that the Adaptec interface comes up as an AIC-8902 instead of AIC-7902, and as a result the attempt to upgrade or install v3.5 (tarball or CD) failed. I have an identical motherboard where the same SCSI comes up as AIC-7902. The VI console currently reports ESX v3.0.2 on both of them.

0 Kudos