VMware Cloud Community
AIC_SAS
Contributor
Contributor

Disconnected host

Hi All,

Hoping someone can help me here. One of my ESX host shows up disconnected from VC and all attempts to reconnect have failed. As a matter of fact I cannot log into the host at all. The VM's are showing in disconnected state although they are still running.

Question is, if I RDP to these VM's and shut them down, is there a way to power them back up on another host? Keep in mind that disconnected host

still shows the vm as in a running state even though I've shut it down via the OS.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

Of course, you can start by shutting your VMs down through the guest OS. Then, why not trying to restart the host itself? If you do not have access to the console, a hard reboot could do the job... crossing fingers not to spoil the file system.

If your VMs are on a shared storage, you could also try to remove your host and all attached VMs from the vCenter. But you will lose all information regarding those VMs in the database: statistics but also security and resource pools... Then try to add them back attached to another host...

Any idea of the root cause of your disconnected host?

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
AIC_SAS
Contributor
Contributor

thanks Frank, that's what I ended up doing ,I have the vm's running on another host now. going to review the logs in the morning to see what happened the problematic host.

thanks for your response.

0 Kudos