VMware Cloud Community
WWWpalani
Contributor
Contributor

Difference between Dual Core CPU and processor

Hi Team,

Kindly explain about the difference between dual core CPUs and dual core processor

is based on the CPUs and the processor the VMs can be configured

I have two servers

Sun Fire X4600 M2

Processors: Eight 2.8GHz AMD Opteron 8220 dual‐core CPUs

Memory: 256GB

Dell PowerEdge 2950

Processors: Two Intel Xeon 5100‐series dual‐core processors (four cores total)

Memory: 4GB

How many VMs can be configured on both the servers

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

Usually the memory is the bootleneck (in ESX the rate can be max 1:2).

The core rate can insead reach 1:8, and usually is 1:4 (depending on the CPU activity of your VMs).

(I make it simple, but also could defend on the architecture, on the L2/L3 caches, on the processors MHz, ...)

Andrea

**if you found this or any other answer useful please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

There's no difference between a CPU and a Processor... They both just use a different terminology. Keep in mind that the Dell Server you picked has an Intel proc and the SUN has an AMD proc. I would prefer AMD at this point in time cause with 3.5 you can use AMD's RVI which will boost performance.

Duncan

VCDX | VMware Communities User Moderator

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
cody_bunch
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Intel now has "Extended Page Tables" that provide similar features and benefits to RVI, no?

-Cody Bunch

vExpert, VCP VI3

-Cody Bunch http://professionalvmware.com
0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I do not want to get into the whole AMD/Intel discussion so I will just talk to the two server configurations you have - The Sun servers will handle by far a much larger number of VMs just based on number of Cores - 16 for the Sun and 4 Cores for the Dell and memory Sun - 256 GB and 4 GB for the Dell -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Qetyl
Contributor
Contributor

There is no perfect answer to your question, but here's what I can offer:

The Sun, with 8 processors totaling 16 cores is far more powerful than the Dell. With a total of 256GB RAM, depending on the intended application, this server could handle possibly dozens of virtual servers.

The Dell, with 2 processors totaling 4 cores is more limited not just by processing power but also by the RAM installed. VMware is very good at RAM management, but depending on performance needs, maybe 2-8 total servers? And that's assuming ESXi.

Also, as mentioned above, Processor and CPU (which stands for Central Processing Unit) are 2 terms for the same thing - there is no difference.

-Q

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

ESX 3.5 doesn't utilize EPT. Only vSphere 4 will use EPT.

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

The SUN? Probably 170 or whatever the limit is, no matter what types and demands the VM's will be.

The Dell? It will depend on type and demand. Memory gets tricky with windows VM's, they are hogs you know.

The 4 cores will go much further than one might expect, but 4gb or ram isn't very much for multiple windows sever VM's, heck not even XP for that matter. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos