VMware Cloud Community
naltoidaddict
Contributor
Contributor

Dell 2950: Internal Sata Drives Incompatible?

Dell 2950: Internal Sata Drives Incompatible?

I'm getting ready to order a Dell 2950 to act as a standalone esx server for a new project. I plan to use plain old sata drives on a perc6, raid 5 to maximize the space in the box. However, on dell's web page when I select sata drives with the vmware standard package I get a warning that vmware doesn't support sata drives. I called my dell rep and he said he asked his vmware guys and they don't think that's a real problem but I'd rather get some advice from this community before I commit to this. The fact that dell's web page flags this without explanation makes me wonder if it's just a problem with the way the page is set up.

Can anyone see an issue why using sata drives with Vmware Standard would be flagged as "incompatible"?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ksmith58
Contributor
Contributor

I'm actually on last day of th ESX 3.5 install/config class, but yesterday we were told that in 3.5 SATA drives were supported. You may want to contact VMware directly or check the support matrix for VMware. This link also has the new 3.5 changes.. http://www.vmware.com/support/vi3/doc/vi3_esx35_vc25_rel_notes.html

SATA support-ESX Server 3.5 supports selected SATA devices connected to dual SAS/SATA controllers.

It is possible that the Dell SATA drives are not supported yet by VMware, or maybe Dell has an incorrect list of supported hardware.

0 Kudos
naltoidaddict
Contributor
Contributor

yeah, I'm starting to think it's a mistake on Dell's part, it'd be nice if their own internal hardware/vmware guys could answer it definitively though. I'll press my rep for a real answer and post back here.

0 Kudos
opbz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

THe problem was with the Perc6 ir it was on the PE2900

The problem was caused by the way the raid controller having a irq conflict after installing ESX3.5. By the wau it worked fine with ESX 3.02

THis issue is now defintelly resolved as there is a new bios for the PE2900 that is exclusivelly for people that are planning ot install ESX 3.5 it ensures. Hrere is the link to the bios and its related readme

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz&releaseid=R174477&Sys...

0 Kudos