VMware Cloud Community
Esys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Dell 1850 and 64-bit VMs

I have this good old Dell 1850, with Irwindale processors capable of 64-bit. I have installed ESX 3.0.2 on it, no problems, and 32-bit OSes (Win2k3) no problems, but i can't get RHEL5 64-bit to install. Well, I can't migrate an instance to it. Get the error message "Unable to migrate from to . The CPU of the host is incompatible with the CPU feature requirements of the virtual machine; problem detected at CUPID level 0x8000001 registed 'edx'."

Server1 is a Dell 2900 with Xeon quad-core Cloverton, Server2 is a Dell 1850 with Xeon dual-core Irwindale.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to why?

thx

Bill

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

PE 1850 does not support VT and hence does not support 64bit VMs. Here is a link to the document . It can be found the www.dell.com/vmware > support documents

Bala

Dell Inc

Bala Dell Inc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Intel cpus require the VT option to available and enabled in BIOS before ESX can run 64bit VMs on that host.

If you are lucky VT is just not enabled, if unlucky the CPU doesn't support it.

Regards,

Iain

0 Kudos
Esys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, Iain. There is no VT knob to turn in BIOS. Guess I'll let Dell tell me it isn't supported, or there is no applicable update to firmware!

Bill

0 Kudos
mcwill
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

To be honest I'm fairly certain the fault lies with the CPU, as I think the Paxville was the first range of Xeons that included the VT option.

Regards,

Iain

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

PE 1850 does not support VT and hence does not support 64bit VMs. Here is a link to the document . It can be found the www.dell.com/vmware > support documents

Bala

Dell Inc

Bala Dell Inc
0 Kudos