VMware Cloud Community
imran20
Contributor
Contributor

DB upgrade requirements?

I am planning to upgrade VC server from 2.0.1 (Build 32042) to version 2.5. The database is currently hosted on a SQL 2000 server. Will I need to upgrade the DB? In documentation it is only metnioned to upgrade the DB when upgrading from versions below 2.0, therefore I think it is not needed in my case, just like to verify with someone who has upgraded (successfully!) already.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I can confirm that you will not have to upgrade the database. You are correct only if you are running below 2.0

RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well I have seen horror stories about other database upgrades that went badly. I have heard of few people that upgraded with success or no problems. One thing is for sure, the upgrade process is VERY long. It's painful. So you have to set aside some time to do it, like an hour or two.

I upgraded, and I did it 3 times, each time took about 45 minutes, and it NEVER did upgrade properly, and we have a new setup within the last 6 months, and there was nothing wrong with the setup. I did a completely NEW install, so something to take into consideration.

I would advise however, that you upgrade to 2005 SQL, it's faster and you won't have to upgrade again... so if you decide to do the upgrade, I advise to do a new install, and make sure your database SQL instance is up to date. Just my opinion.

0 Kudos
imran20
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Are you referring to upgrading from version 1.x? if so, I agree that the upgrade of DB was painful coming from version 1.x to 2.0 and it took much longer. But now that I am running at 2.0.1 already, I assume there shouldn't be any issue upgrading VC to ver 2.5 and this won't require any upgrades to the DB as well. Taking longer to upgrde is not a problem I have already blocked out an hour to two for the server outage, I just don't want any surprises or paging DBAs after hours.

We will be migrating the DB to SQL2005 soon. There were some issues in going to SQL2K5 with version 2.0.1 of VC so we decided to wait till it has been upgraded to ver 2.5

0 Kudos
imran20
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. Are you referring to upgrading from version 1.x? if so, I agree that the upgrade of DB was painful coming from version 1.x to 2.0 and it took much longer. But now that I am running at 2.0.1 already, I assume there shouldn't be any issue upgrading VC to ver 2.5 and this won't require any upgrades to the DB as well. Taking longer to upgrde is not a problem I have already blocked out an hour to two for the server outage, I just don't want any surprises or paging DBAs after hours.

We will be migrating the DB to SQL2005 soon. There were some issues in going to SQL2K5 with version 2.0.1 of VC so we decided to wait till it has been upgraded to ver 2.5

0 Kudos
davidjerwood
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have recently upgraded from running 2.0.1 to 2.5 without any issues.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos