VMware Cloud Community
TrevorA
Contributor
Contributor

Customized installation of IBM Director Agent

I would like to do a custom install of the IBM Director Agent on esx3.5. I believe that the install is ./dir5.20.2_agent_linux.sh -r diragent.rsp, however I cannot find any documentation on how to modify the diragent.rsp. In Windows there is a parameter in the diragent.rsp called AddKnownServerAddress=TCP::xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Does anyone know what the equivalent would be in the Linux diragent.rsp and what other parameters can be specified in the diragent.rsp for the linux installation.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TrevorA
Contributor
Contributor

Come on you VM guru's out there! Someone must have done this before?

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

I am just doing this! LOL However, IBM has yet to official declare support for ESX 3.5... Per our IBM TAM. Can you tell me why you need that setting? This is presetting the IBM Director Server target? We did not use it for ESX 3.0.2 Update1 certification of 5.20.2 agent.

0 Kudos
gpeck29
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm just now looking at installing the IBM agent into the ESX server console. I've got both 3.0.2 and 3.5 right now....can either of you point me to a good document on how to install and configure the agent? I'm new to IBM hardware, been with HP for so long it hurts to use IBM. I have not found a clearly written document on the process of installation and configuration.

Thanks

Greg

0 Kudos
Schorschi
Expert
Expert

I have never found a good document from IBM for this. Because IBM does not document the VMware support well in the individual documents, but I do have some good links and notes. Drop me a private note to remind me, and I will try to clean up my notes and send them to you. If you find them useful and understandable. I will post them here in due course. Like you, I knew HP and Dell agents very well, and IBM was culture shock at first.

In short, IBM has different requirements PER MAKE/MODEL, what you do for the 3950 for example is not the same for what you do for an IBM HS21 Blade. This is hard to understand at first, when Dell and HP just use the same installation package for almost every make/model.

In most cases...

1) You load the LM78 or SMBUS Driver (this fills in gaps in IPMI, this is device specific. Also LM78 Driver will NOT load on on ESX 3.0.2 Update1, bug in the SRPM source code! IBM has given us tweaked source code for LM78 driver, but the GA release should be out soon.

2) Load IBM OSA IPMI (We load this since the IPMI stack is all IBM based) or use OpenIPMI native to VMware

3) Load IBM Mapping Layer (This is required for some other components, like if you need RSA II Daemon or not)

4) Load IBM Director Agent 5.20.2 for Linux

5) Load ServeRAID 9.0 for Linux, both Level 1 & Level 2 agent

6) Load USB additional support RPMS, required for RSA II Remote Media support, this is discussed in the RSA II Daemon read-me text.

7) Load RSA II Daemon (only for 3850, 3950s if installed, Blades use AMM, so no RSA II Daemon for them). Version 1.38 works, version 1.39 breaks on ESX 3.0.2 Update1, but version 1.41 or 1.42 will be out soon. We finalized on 1.38 for now.

NOTE: If you have customized /etc/issue, IBM Director Agent sometimes does NOT LOAD IBMPSG_physicalnetworkadapter class right in CIMOM so IBM Director Server NEVER gets NIC Down Warnings! It took IBM several weeks to get this one figured out, which is funny, HP make the VERY SAME mistake with /etc/issue with HP agents 7.8.0 (I think it was 7.8.0, or 7.7.0). Do hardware vendors NEVER read VMware documentation.... determine version of ESX by 'vmware -v' LOL not /etc/issue! Nuts.

The same sequence load above should work for ESX 3.5, we just got official word that IBM Director Agent 5.20.2 cerification for 3.5 within IBM is all but done or is done and the documentation on the web site is syncing up. As I said, LM78 or SMBus drivers, are device specific there is a pretty good discussion on LM78 versus SMBus, this on the IBM website, I just don't have the link handy right now.

Note, VMware documentation says... Oh, just load IBM Director Agent and you are good to go!? Bull. The guy at VMware that certificed IBM Director Agent was nice, helpful, but had no clue about all the additional components and drivers to get, say a 3950 really right for a enterprise production environment. VMware completely ignores ServerRAID agent for example. Also ignores RSA II.

Wow! Does not seem all that complete now, does, it? Just kidding, figuring all this out was a pain. So I understand your perspective.

0 Kudos