VMware Cloud Community
twen1234
Contributor
Contributor

Customising VI Client?

I have a few queries with regard to the VMWARE VI Client which I was hoping could be answered:

1. Can the VI client be customised for users (with limited access via Roles) can use. This includes the view options, launching the console window by default etc

2. Can the VI client be customised to auto logon via a command line with a specific account and is there any other command line options ?

3. Can we set the default view when clicking on the machine as the separate console view as opposed to the console window ?

4. Any information on running VI client for multiple users via Citrix ?

Many information/links on customisation of the client would be great.

Toby

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

> 1. Can the VI client be customised for users (with limited access via Roles) can use.

Yes, but no defaults. They can login see the VM's you give them access to, and they can do only what you allow.

> 2. Can the VI client be customised to auto logon via a command line with a specific account and is there any other command line options ?

No command line support

> 3. Can we set the default view when clicking on the machine as the separate console view as opposed to the console window ?

No but web access has a feature that allows you to send a URL in email or copy paste as a direct link. Just select the VM via webaccess, and there on the right is an option to copy VM URL. That would give direct console to 1 VM at a time, and no need to login and locate the VM.

> 4. Any information on running VI client for multiple users via Citrix ?

Doesn't support multiple users, each user would need their own access. web access would probably be better for you. You can control versions, and you don't need to worry about deploying software.

twen1234
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the update. This was very useful.

With the Web Access could you confirm whether:

1. Whether only the screens/mouse clicks are transferred to the users browser (ie thin client) or whether larger amounts of data are transferred during general use.

2. Whether it is possible to map/use USB devices connected to the local workstation within the Web session ?

3. How to tell whether someone is using a Web access session on a given machine and is there a way to prevent two users logging onto the same machine.

Many thanks once again !!

Toby

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

2. Can the VI client be customised to auto logon via a command line with a specific account and is there any other command line options ?

Here's a couple of command line options for connecting automatically with the VC 2.5 client. I'm not sure if they're supported though:

VpxClient.exe -s hostname -u username -p password

Windows passthrough auth: VpxClient.exe -s hostname -passthroughAuth

twen1234
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, can you confirm how Passthrough works ie how a Windows user can logon to the VMWARE environment ? I thought I had to login with a linux logon

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Windows user. Since VC is on a Windows machine you can't use Linux Login credentials, and you can't run the client on a Linux machine.

But the Windows passthrough authentication does work, from Windows. As long as your user id on the network is added to the VC server machine, you are good.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There are two ways to use the VI Client - connecting to an ESX server or connecting to a VirtualCenter server.

ESX:

By default, Linux authentication is the only way to connect directly to an ESX server using the VI Client, therefore Windows pass-through auth does not work.

It is possible to setup Active Directory authentication on ESX servers, thereby allowing you to use Windows logins directly too: http://www.vmware.com/resources/techresources/582

I haven't tested it, but I assume that pass-through auth would work fine with such a configuration.

VirtualCenter:

Windows logins are required for connecting to the VirtualCenter server using the VI Client, therefore Windows pass-through auth should work.

0 Kudos