VMware Cloud Community
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

Currently running esx 3.01 looking to upgrade ..

Hello,

ESX is running great but due to a new call center application it requires esx 3.5 to be running so i have to look at upgrading a few questions?

1. What is the best version to upgrade 2

2. I downloaded a version 2 years ago before my maintenance contact ran out. Have there been alot of advancements?.

3. Do I need to renew my contact to get an upgraded version? Will my existing licenses still work?

4. Any documents to a good step by step installation. I'd rather do a clean install then an upgrade

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

I currently have an ISO esx-3.5.0-64607a.iso and VMware-VIMSetup-2.5.0-64201.zip that i downloaded feb of 09 .....

Would I be good just using these 2?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

1) 4.0 or 4.1

2) Yes, MANY. 50%+ performance improvements in some applications/setups on the same hardware

3) Yes you will need to

4) The Admin guide walks you through it

Running 3.5 at this point would not be a good choice - I'm pretty sure they've stopped issuiing updates for it.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek, Storage Nerd

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As has stated the best verison to upgrade to is the latest which is vSphere 4.1. There are so many differences between 3.01, 3.5 and vSphere and performance is that much better. I think the problem you are going to run into is VMware back dates your support if you have let it drop so renewing may be pricey. It's also been awhile since I was on 3.01 but I don't remember a license change until vSphere so it's possible your 3.01 license may still work with 3.5 ( though not sure of the legality of that).

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos