VMware Cloud Community
genfors
Contributor
Contributor

Creating a bootable Ghost DVD

Hi,

I hope this is the correct forum.

I have received a Ghost image from a guest OS that i need to deploy on a new VM. I'm using ESX Server 3.5i.

The problem i have is that i can't get my bootable DVD to detect any harddrive after boot.

I've created a BartPE iso that boots fine from my new VM but can't find any harddrive. I've downloaded and included scsi drivers for both LSI Logic and Bus Logic, I even tried to load them manually hitting F6 when BartPE loads..still no harddrive.

Anyone knows what i'm doing wrong?

Any help appreciated!

--Mats

0 Kudos
5 Replies
zemotard
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Try with vmware converter.

This powerfull tool is able to convert a ghost image in VM very easily.

Best Regards

If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Best Regards If this information is useful for you, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
Lightbulb
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

zemotard is correct try Vmware converter Standalone 4.0

As to you BartPE issue you could try Ultimate Boot CD for Windows () this is a PE implementation I have used in the past with ESX and ESXi and never had any issues with. It has the capability of adding a Ghost plugin.

0 Kudos
jokke
Expert
Expert

What version of ghost is the image from?

If it's .gho, converter will not do, and you will need a bartpe cd, recommends moa.

Otherwise there are some issues to have in mind with running converter running directly on a ghost image. See the release notes.

Joakim

0 Kudos
genfors
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Ghost is from Ver 11 so it's a .gho file, so i guess BartPE or UBCD is the solution, I'll give UBCD a try!

Did some testing with the same result, can't see the harddrive after boot. Do i need to configure my guest os in any way? Tried to set it up as both Buslogic and LSI logic

--Mats

0 Kudos
msemon1
Expert
Expert

Another way you can do this with a .Gho file is to create a Ghost Boot disk. We ran the Ghost utility to automatically create the Ghost boot disk and booted off of the virtual floppy. Once you boot off the Ghost floppy you can ghost the image into the VM.

Mike

0 Kudos