VMware Cloud Community
fcapizzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Copy VMware Update Manager files from one VC to another?

I have an environment with 2 VC servers, both with Update Manager installed. One of the VC servers has full Internet access and is able to download updates without a problem. The other VC server does not have Internet access. Is it possible to copy the updates downloaded from one VirtualCenter server to another?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fcapizzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any ideas on this one? It would be nice to use an existing, already set up VC server with Update Manager already running to copy the updates instead of setting up the Update Manager.

0 Kudos
donaldmickey
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Tell me if you are 2 SQL or one SQL for yours VC. Because, VM Update Manager stores data in the database SQL?

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

You can use the command line tools to export your paches from one update manager and run import on the 2nd. This is similar to setting up a UMDS (Update Manager Download Service) server. Check the Update Manager guide for that:

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
donaldmickey
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, thanks, but I do not think it is possible, because you use 2 different SQL

0 Kudos
fcapizzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

kjb007, I tried to install the Update Manager Download Service on my other VC server. However, I get an error stating that "VMware Update Manager Download Service and VMware Update Manager cannot co-exist on the same system." Is there any way around this?

donaldmickey, the 2 VC servers have each their own separate databases, so I can't really share or use another's database.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Not sure if you've tried this, but share your repository on one server. Then run the download cli to import from the share location. Otherwise, you can create a central repository for the updates, and point both update managers to that. Then, download from one, and import into the other.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos