VMware Cloud Community
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Converting a guest using ServRaid 4Lx RAID1 drive set

For once, I thought a conversion would be easy but it never seems to be.

The guest in question is a Linux Centos 5.2 one sitting on a RAID1 set of SCSI drives using the ServRaid 4Lx IBM controller

I first used Acronis to convert the guest to a .tib file, then used the VMware stand alone converter to convert and import onto an ESXi server. Upon firing it up, all I keep getting is operating system not found. I've gone through this several times but because this was the conversion of just one of the RAID1 drives, makes me wonder if this is yet another special case.

Any help would be very appreciated as I wish to move it onto ESX rather than rebuild it again.

Mike

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Well I think when doing images of Linux drives, the boot sector isn't there which is why you get unable to boot.

Fixing it is a rather easy thing just reinstall grub. You should be able to reinstall grub on that drive without much work. I believe that would solve it.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I've tried these things repeatedly and it's never worked but I'll give it another try. In this case, since the disk was scsi, maybe it'll work.

I'll be back :).

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sure enough, as always, grub-install done, reboot leads to "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!".

Also, getting;

insmod: error inserting '/lib/ips.ko': -1 No such device

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

etc, etc. Obviously, it's not finding the root.

Mike

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hello,

try this

Cheers

\aleph0

(in italian)

###############

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After converting, the only way to even get it to boot at all was to change the SCSI to BusLogic, this at least gets it to the kernel panic stage. Following the instructions you gave me got me a tiny bit further but the new problem is;

Looking for deps of module BusLogic

No module BusLogic found for kernel 2.6.18.92.1.22.eI5PAE

Since the guest is not booting, I can't put what ever it needs on it's drive and am not sure I can or have to create a CD to boot from which would have what ever it seeks or perhaps try this without chroot'ing the guest.

Mike

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also, if I put the guest's setting to BusLogic in the settings, then rescue mode never finds a partition on the guest so can't mount. The only setting I can use is LSI Logic which then finds the guest but doesn't seem to have drivers. Wait now, I'm trying to set the kernel to BusLogic, I'll try using LSI and see what happens. Pretty sure I've tried this before.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Finally got it.

First, the only way I was able to see it was to put it in LSI logic mode.

Then booted using a rescue disk

chroot the guest.

Edit /etc/modules.conf and set scsi_hostadapter to mptscsih

Then ran mkinitrd against my kernel.

Rebooted and it's working.

0 Kudos
aleph0
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Great!

\aleph0 ____________________________ http://virtualaleph.blogspot.com/ ############### If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

PS: Same thing DOES NOT work on an IDE to SCSI conversion, only a Linux guest which was already SCSI to begin with. Dang. Back to the drawing board on that one.

0 Kudos
rightfoot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ah, I thought I forgot a step and sure enough. After you create the new boot, make sure to run grub-install /dev/sda, then reboot.

Mike

0 Kudos