VMware Cloud Community
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Convert Virtual Server to VM

Hi all

Wondered if it is possible to convert a Virtual Server (created using free Virtual Server) can be converted to a Virtual machine on ESX and if so, how can it be done?

Thanx

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The method I used to get my Virtual Server VM's into ESX is to create a VM in virtual center with a small hard disk, complete the creation of the vm then go back into the vm and delete the virtual disk that is just created.

Copy the vmdk file to the ESX box in a seperate folder then use then use vmkfstools -i source.vmdk to destination.vmdk file name - this will import the disk into ESX.

Then in virtual center go back to the vm you just created and select the hard disk you have just imported...

This method worked best for me...

When I used the vm importer of a virtual machine it done weird things like the guest memory when in esx environment was like 600mb for the virtual server when it wasnt even doing anything....

Regards

Dave

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

VMware Converter supports this Smiley Wink

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
tyu7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks

Is it the Enterprise converter that can do this?

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Both starter and Enterprise can do this...

/Rubeck

0 Kudos
jyvesd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can find the documentation for converter (enterprise) here:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vi3_vec_10_admin_guide.pdf

Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

And the general user manual here: https://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual303.pdf

/Rubeck

hillda01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

The method I used to get my Virtual Server VM's into ESX is to create a VM in virtual center with a small hard disk, complete the creation of the vm then go back into the vm and delete the virtual disk that is just created.

Copy the vmdk file to the ESX box in a seperate folder then use then use vmkfstools -i source.vmdk to destination.vmdk file name - this will import the disk into ESX.

Then in virtual center go back to the vm you just created and select the hard disk you have just imported...

This method worked best for me...

When I used the vm importer of a virtual machine it done weird things like the guest memory when in esx environment was like 600mb for the virtual server when it wasnt even doing anything....

Regards

Dave

0 Kudos