VMware Cloud Community
groobo
Contributor
Contributor

Consolidated Backup / Backupexec 11d

Following the instructions given by vmware in the BackupExec VCB Interoperability Module I have gotten to the point where the backup job is set in BackupExec but the job will fail at pre/post command. If I remove the check box for "Allow pre- and post- commands to be successful only if completed with a return code of zero" the job will finish successfully but it will only back up about 4k bytes worth of data. So in this case it seems that the vm's are not being mounted at all and a backup of the empty folder is being taken. I have already successfully used the vcbMounter command and can manually mount and back up the vm's that way but ultimately I want an automated solution. Initially I want a full backup of the VM taken and incrementals taken every so often on a set schedule. On the Backupexec side I have a back-up-to-disk folder which is a local drive on the VCB server (G:\vmware). If I run the pre-backup.bat from command line to mount the virtual machine the command finishes but I don't see the VM mounted where I specified.

Even if someone can point me to some descriptive documents explaining all the scripts (browse-start.bat, config.js, veritas.js, etc.) included with the backupexec module that would be very helpful. I have seen people use both the pre/post-backup.bat and the browse-start/end commands and have no idea what the difference is. The documentation I have does not even touch upon them and it amazes me that anyone has got this working with the documentation that is available.

I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

First step, can you run VCB manually and connect, mount drives, copy files, whatever, and disconnect. If you cannot do this, then pre and post scripts, etc, are worthless. First prove that VCB is working, then troubleshoot the scripts. If you can manually run vcbname.exe, then try vcbmounter.exe. Once you can manually run vcbmounter.exe and mount VM's, then move on to the scripts. At this point run your scripts manually, to make sure they work independent of backupexec. Once THIS works, THEN work on making the scripts work from within backupexec.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
groobo
Contributor
Contributor

"I have already successfully used the vcbMounter command and can

manually mount and back up the vm's that way but ultimately I want an

automated solution."

"If I run the pre-backup.bat from command line to mount the virtual

machine the command finishes but I don't see the VM mounted where I

specified."

Please re-read my original post before replying.

0 Kudos
dmorgan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Then please re-re-read my previous post. IF you can run vcbmounter.exe manually, THEN run the scripts manually and make them work. OBVIOUSLY the problem lies in your implementation of the scripts, not with VCB.

0 Kudos
VirtuallyDave
Contributor
Contributor

Hopefully you have since resolved your case, however for the benefit of us that are just getting to this issue I can share my experience. The pre/post script boxes only accept a finite number of characters. I suspect you were using a lengthy path and possibly FQDNs. Try moving the scripts, creating a sub script to call the VMs, and/or using host names (not FQDNs). Worked me.

Cheers,

Dave

0 Kudos