VMware Cloud Community
godzteeth
Contributor
Contributor

Connection failed: could not connect to host

ESX 3.5.0, 64607 - VIC 2.5.0, 84767

Hi. I hope someone can advise:

Our ESX server, running 7 VMs, recently started using up most of its physical memory, triggering CPU and memory usage alerts. It got to the point where VIC was not responding. I disconnected the host (which seemed like a good idea at the time) but now I cannot reconnect. The error I get when I try reconnect is: "Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem."

Fortunately the VMs are all still running.

I can connect to the VMs through web access. After enabling root access I can SSH to the ESX server successfully.

Using SSH, I restarted the physical server but it still refuses to connect. Furthermore, I get the message in SSH console "ALERT: Configuration changes were not saved successfully during previous shutdown. Please file a problem report including output of vm-support." (VIC -> Export diagnostic data reports ok for Virtual Center & VIC; ESX = log bundle hasn't been generated).

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

try restart the service (service mgmt-vmware restart) and vpxa (service vmware-vpxa restart)

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
godzteeth
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - quick response!

I forgot to mention I had already tried that. It caused the 2 VMs that were using the most memory to instantly reboot!

I restarted the ESX server anyway in case there were other services that weren't responding but, as mentioned, no luck.

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you looked at any of the logs on the ESX host? Has anything changed on the VMs? you might try esxtop to help trouble shoot the problem.

david

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Once you have a session open, run the command vdf -h

It'll list out the partitions you have and will indicate if one of them is full.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/559640

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
godzteeth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David,

i can find a mention of the error in the viclient logs. It doesn't tell me much though:

2009-06-15 17:52:30.738 An error occured running a task.

Vmomi.Fault.NoHost: Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem.

2009-06-15 17:52:40.520 Start Invoke 58 - Datacenter:datacenter-2.QueryConnectionInfo ...

2009-06-15 17:52:41.832 Finish Invoke 58 - Serial:0.001, Server:001.315 - Datacenter:datacenter-2.QueryConnectionInfo

Vmomi.Fault.NoHost: Unable to access the specified host. It either does not exist, the server software is not responding, or there is a network problem.

vpxa.log shows

Creating temporary connect spec: localhost:443

Failed to discover namespace: Connection refused

Could not resolve namespace for authenticating to h$

messages log - I have no idea what to look for here!

the only oddity I can see is:

vmware-hostd[8182]: Accepted password for user root from 127.0.0.1

passwd(pam_unix)[8430]: password changed for vpxuser

ukha-esx01 vmware-authd(pam_unix)[8182]: authentication failure; logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost= u$

vmware-hostd[8182]: Accepted password for user vpxuser from 127.0.0.1

last message repeated 2 times

On line 2 - password changed? This is repeated several time throughout the log.

Do you what else I can check? Incidentally, ping & nslookup do resolve the server name / ip.

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

your DNS is working correct? Forward and reverse? Do you have anything in your /etc/hosts?

david

0 Kudos
godzteeth
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again. I can confirm the partitions all have plenty of space.

0 Kudos
godzteeth
Contributor
Contributor

Hi David.

Yes, forward & reverse lookups are working- from the server that holds VIC: ping & nslookup resolve without any delays.

In hosts there is the loopback address & an internal IP: 192.168.x.y with the fqdn and the host name.

Just as a test I #'d out the internal IP. (Would I need to restart any services for that to take effect?) That didn't resolve the problem though.

0 Kudos
godzteeth
Contributor
Contributor

Something I have noticed: /etc/vmware/hostd/datastores.xml seems to be missing.

At /, find . -name "datastores" returns no results.

Can I create this file manually? If so, what should it contain?

0 Kudos
sat1979hya
Contributor
Contributor

It's not required to have datastore.xml in /etc/vmware/hostd/ folder. You may try creating additional user and try to login with the new user id created.

0 Kudos