VMware Cloud Community
ttrulis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Connecting NAS to ESX

I am attempting to connect a NAS to ESX via VC for repository for templates, ISOs, etc. I already have a VMKernel port set up for VMotion on 192.168.101.60 which is going through gateway 192.168.101.1 and is not tied to a physical adapter (crossover cable for vmotion). If I add an IP on the same subnet as the NAS 192.168.30.X. How do I get this to work if I can only have one default subnet for VMotion? Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can actually have ultiple vmkernel subnets but the limitation is you can have one gateway - so I would remove the gateway for the vmotion network and create a second vmkernel port on another subnet and set the gateway to that subnets gateway

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Create another VMkernel port and assign it 192.168.30.x IP. VMotion is performed via VMkernel, but IP storage and VMotion are not related.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

For security purposes,NFS and VMotion traffic should be isolated with its own network. But in your case, its test and your IP scheme is fine as long as you create additional (vmkernel) port and it should be fine. Are you using FreeNAS or Openfiler of any? I'm using Openfiler at home for testing and it works great. You can use alias for redundancy on NFS mounts.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can actually have ultiple vmkernel subnets but the limitation is you can have one gateway - so I would remove the gateway for the vmotion network and create a second vmkernel port on another subnet and set the gateway to that subnets gateway

0 Kudos
ttrulis
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the responses. I think my main issue is that I have no physical interfaces left as two of them are on the 192.168.11.X network. vmnic 0,1,2 are all on .11 while vmnic 3 is crossover cable to other ESX for vmotion. So it really doesn't leave anything for me to use for the .10.X network. I suppose one solution is setting up vmotion port to .10 network and sharing with NAS but I feel that would cause unneccessary chatter on the 10 network. I suppose I just need another NIC interface.

@azn2kew - no NAS software this is a ReadyNAS hardware device on network.

0 Kudos