VMware Cloud Community
BlueBeetle
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting ESX 3.5 to CX300i

I'm trying to connect my newly installed ESX 3.5 server (Dell PowerEdge 2850) to my CX300i SAN. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this. I've looked online and tried to find some documentation but haven't been able to find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks! :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

The link below with take you to document to get you started with ESX and iSCSI. Best to give this a read and then come back with any specific questions.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
BlueBeetle
Contributor
Contributor

What I need is instructions on how to setup the connection from both the SAN side, using Navisphere and from the ESX 3.5 side. I've created a ESX host in Navisphere that's manually registered but when I log into ESX I can't seem to connect to the LUNs. What steps need to happen on the ESX side?

0 Kudos
whynotq
Commander
Commander

i have attached the output from the Customer Clariion CPG for you to use.

ctfoster
Expert
Expert

I'm just trying to work out how far you've got.

Do you see the iqn connections created on the ESX active and logged on with the CX ?

On the ESX what is the output of esxcfg-mpath -l - do you see the paths you expect ?

0 Kudos
BlueBeetle
Contributor
Contributor

When I run that command all I see is the local disk of the ESX host.

Disk vmhba0 : 0 : 0 /dev/sda (140014MB) has 1 paths and policy of Fixed

Local 2:5.0 vmhba0 : 0 : 0 on active preferred

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

In that case you have no active paths to the SAN and therefore no LUNS. Take a good look at the ESX configuration document. It gives you all the information you need to set set up the iSCSI software initiator. The information you require is 1) the ip address of the iSCSI target 2) The CHAP secret of the SAN (if it has been used.)

Your first job it to get the paths established and logged onto the SAN. Then its just the case of using Navisphere to attach the paths (iqn) to a strorage group and LUNS to the same group. Then rescan on the ESX.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Did you setup a VMkernel and Service console vSwitch for iSCSI?

Did you open up the firewall for the iSCSI initiator?

Did you enable iSCSI and entered the target?

If so, do you see any targets on the VMHBA40?

Duncan

My virtualisation blog:

0 Kudos
BlueBeetle
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to setup the VMkernel as it describes in the instructions. I'm just not sure what to use for the IP address? Do I put in the address of the ESX host or something different?

0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

You need to use a new address that on the same address range as the CX300i. Do you have a network dedicated to iSCSI or are you trying to run it across the LAN already carrying the production/management traffic?

0 Kudos