VMware Cloud Community
topry
Contributor
Contributor

Combining License files for SingleHost model and running license service on a VM

We recently purchased the Acceleration Kit and have it installed using the license server model, which runs on a VM.

This is working w/out issue, however in reading other posts on this topic, we are concerned that should something happen to the VM hosting the license service, we would be unable to access the Host. I read other posts suggesting using the Single Host model for the host with the VM running the license service, which makes sense as that would make that host always accessible.

So, I created a Single Host license file for 1 of the VI ESX Foundation servers - and can import that license file. But...I cannot enable Consolidate Backup using the same method. The single host process does not allow me to create one .lic for both products, nor does the combine method work for two different products. I tried creating two separate lic files and combining them myself, but attempts to upload the combined file result in an error that the license file is not valid. Individually, I can import both of them - just not together.

Can anyone advise how I license both ESX Foundation AND Consolidate Backup using Single Host model on the same system?

While the license server running on a VM is apparently supported (based on other posts I have read) - should something happen to that VM, Im guessing that my host also becomes totally inaccessible? If correct, this surely cannot a 'best practice'?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IB_IT
Expert
Expert

i know for centralized (VC based) licensing there is a 14 day grace period you have should your lic server be unreachable. I think this is the same for server based licenses but I could be wrong. What method are you using to combine the two lics?

0 Kudos
topry
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I had been using notepad, simply pasting the text from one into another at the end of the visible text and saving as a new file. After several attempts, I used an editor that shows all whitespace, and saw an eof marker that was not visible in notepad. Once I positioned the second license ahead of the eof, it worked.

As for the 14 day grace period, my concern would be that should somone not notice the service or VM is not responding that the guests on that hosts (all hosts that use that license server) would become inaccessible. I do not see any functionality within Virtual Center that sends an email or other form of notification should a problem arise with the selected license server. In our current configuration, since the license server runs on the same VM hosting VC Server, we would (hopefully) notice the VM was not responding, but perhaps not the service.

Currently, I plan on installing a host license file on each of the ESX hosts and running the license service off the VM that hosts Virtual Center Foundation Server and other options that require the license service.

If anyone knows of a better method or a problem doing this, I would appreciate any / all feedback as this is our first ESX installation and we have a lot to learn.

0 Kudos