VMware Cloud Community
Xtdanno
Contributor
Contributor

Clients cannot ping or map resources to vm guest

I'm pretty new to vmware. So I'm looking for some advice. I seem to be having a similar issue

this is the pattern

host can ping =everything

host can ping guest

vm guest can ping host

vm guest can ping everything

differant host cannot ping vm guest,

vm guest can ping differant host.

configuration

VM hosting on XP(with SP3) with VM workstation

VM image is 2k3 gserver

vm was cloned and MAC addresses were changed.

Bridged connection.

neither is hosting dhcp

both are getting ipaddresses from external DHCP servers.

DNS is resolving to correct address.

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : na.agrogroup.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-2X-99-4B-1D

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : X.X.X.66

VM Guest

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : XX-XX-2X-77-5F-9D

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : X.X.X.92

firewalls were disabled to make life easier in testing to find out what the issue. is . . if there is more information needed please ask and i will provide

0 Kudos
3 Replies
danpalacios
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you mentioned that the "firewalls were disabled". That includes the host, correct? Can you ping the host from another system? Clearly you have outbound traffic working, so the bridged connectn and the routing are all fine. The only thing I can think of which would prevent the ping is a firewall somewhere in the mix. XP SP2 has inbound firewall only, which does seem to match your symptoms.

Xtdanno
Contributor
Contributor

that was disabled as well. I've never seen thus type of behavior before it does seem very odd . considering that both the vm and host can surf the net. i can map a drive fromt he host to the vm. but when i try from another host no luck all i get is RTO. then i try to ping it and RTO as well. tracert has nothing as well but when running from the local host to the vm everything checks out .

0 Kudos
Xtdanno
Contributor
Contributor

ok found out the problem the comapny policy has another firewall running in the back ground once the service was disabled from the services undder my computer> manage>services.> office scan firewall. was disabled everything now works 100% including mapping to the VM server

0 Kudos