VMware Cloud Community
ir1shm1ike
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Clarify what v3i is?

I am currently running ESX 3.0.1 and VC 2.0.1 on my network. I am looking to upgrade and I saw that 3.0.2 is out as well as 2.0.2. I was going to do this pretty soon, but now I am seeing V3i, is that another version or a new product??? Also, I am hearing about 3.5 coming out soon? Should I upgrade to 3.0.2 or wait, just wondering if someone can clear this up for me.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

3i is the new "embedded" version of ESX with a very small 32MB footprint and no Linux Service Console to worry about, and subsequently minimal effort to install and configure, and troubleshoot. 3.5 is the traditional "Thick" ESX that has all the new features in it. 3i and 3.5 otherwise have the same full functionality ( as long as the license you buy allows it).

Both products are still a few months away.

Check it all out here:

Although 3i is the "emdedded" product it's probably a sign of things to come, and there's no reason why 3i couldn't be installed onto a server's hard drive and run like thick ESX, but without the service console.

/kimono/

/kimono/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

3i is the new "embedded" version of ESX with a very small 32MB footprint and no Linux Service Console to worry about, and subsequently minimal effort to install and configure, and troubleshoot. 3.5 is the traditional "Thick" ESX that has all the new features in it. 3i and 3.5 otherwise have the same full functionality ( as long as the license you buy allows it).

Both products are still a few months away.

Check it all out here:

Although 3i is the "emdedded" product it's probably a sign of things to come, and there's no reason why 3i couldn't be installed onto a server's hard drive and run like thick ESX, but without the service console.

/kimono/

/kimono/
0 Kudos
kimono
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In answer to your second question, personally I'm not bothering to run around and upgrade my 3.0.1's to 3.0.2. As long as patches keep coming for 3.0.1 I'm happy with keeping them. But new hosts yes I'm building as 3.0.2. I'd recommend you read the release notes for 3.0.2 / 2.0.2 and see if there's anything in there pertinent to you. Use the "if it ain't broke" rule to help you decide whether the effort is needed.

Less work is more that's what I say!

/kimono/

/kimono/