VMware Cloud Community
EAIabach
Contributor
Contributor

Check and Upgrade Tools before each power on - Not Working

We have this setting enabled as a standard configuration for all of our 3.5 VMs. However, We have VMs with out-of-date tools that do not update when restarted. Is anyone else seeing this problem? Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jjpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

YEs .. I am seeing the same thing, but my observation is that os reboot is not triggering the vmware tools update but it is a power on of vm triggers it.

So in short instedad of just rebooting the OS, try to power off the VM and then power it on !!

Though I am still not sure that why it is not starting vm tools update during Guest OS reboot ??

0 Kudos
sflanders
Commander
Commander

While check and upgrade tools before each power on is a great feature, it is not without limitations. Until the system is fully booted, the check/upgrade is not performed. In addition, the check/upgrade can be hidden to end users (i.e. people who RDP to the box). After the upgrade is complete, the reboot operation may fail if end users have already connected to the system and have begun working. Another thing to note is that when it does work it could potentially kick people off the server to perform the reboot.

In this case, the problem is that the check/upgrade only happens on power on (not reboot) thus why the VMs are listed as out-of-date.

Hope this helps! === If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". ===
0 Kudos