VMware Cloud Community
dwchan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Changing IP address to License and VC server after installation

Is there anything i need to change or be aware of if i need to change the IP Address to the server that host the license and VirtualCenter services? I am building a new server that will be hosting the new VC 2.5/license server. The network team want me to get an new IP. But if I can go ahead with the install now and change the IP address later without issue, that would be great. If not, i just wait and change the IP first before the installation

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ctfoster
Expert
Expert

One sure way would be to go ahead and install the VC server with your existing address - when you want to move to a new address

remove your servers, change the address and then pop them back in again. May not be elegant or suit your

situation - but it'll work.

0 Kudos
E_A_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm planning to do the same thing for my VC server (2.0.2). I ask to VMWare support and they say the only thing to remember is to disconnect ESX servers before change the IP address of VC.

Bye

E.A.

you do not really understand something

unless you can explain it to your grandmother

(Albert Einstein)

E.A. ______________________________________________ you do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother (Albert Einstein)
0 Kudos
derekn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I ask to VMWare support and they say the only thing to remember is to disconnect ESX servers before change the IP address of VC.

I did what he said also...Assuming that you are doing a VC on a physical box, it should not be a problem to change the ip. The Hosts will lose licensing when they cannot connect to the license server, that does not mean that they will fail, it will just allow features like Vmotion and etc will not working because they are not "licensed" at that moment.

I did the same type of roll out, we had a test vcenter box for implementation then decided to beef the box up...well I rolled my licensing to the other box, while we built the new Vcenter box, and then switched back.

It was no big deal.

-go easy
0 Kudos