VMware Cloud Community
Jozef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Change volume id

Hi guys,

Does anyone know how to change the volume id / volume serial number of a vmware virtual disk? I ran the sysinternals tool volumeid.exe, but the change does not "stick".

Thanks,

Jozef

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I know you have to reboot for the change to take effect. Check your syntax, if I remember correctly I had to do it twice as I did not notice a mistake in the syntax the first time and after reboot I thought it had reverted to the original volume id.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Why do you need to change the Volume ID? That's a unique number based upon the SID and some other variables.

0 Kudos
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can you explain what happens when you use volumeid.exe and the change doesn't stick? I have successfully used this tool to change the serial number of a virtual disk in the past.

rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I know you have to reboot for the change to take effect. Check your syntax, if I remember correctly I had to do it twice as I did not notice a mistake in the syntax the first time and after reboot I thought it had reverted to the original volume id.

0 Kudos
Jozef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sure I did reboot the first time, but I did it again and it worked the second time. So, must have done something wrong the first time.

Thanks a lot!

Jozef

0 Kudos