VMware Cloud Community
nuco
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot route traffic outside of subnet

I've re-installed ESX 3.0 server (3.0.1 also), and I keep having the same issue on this box. I was able to transfer a 40GB V2V image in about 3 hours on the same subnet (VLAN).

When I try to connect outside the VLAN, I get no response. When I issue the "route" command, it shows the local network, autoconfig network, then a 5-10 second delay before displaying the default route.

I believe this delay is causing the issue, but after 3 reinstallations, I haven't been able to resolve it. The server is a Dell 2850, using onboard Intel dual NICs. Otherwise it seems to work fine. I don't get any errors during the install or otherwise. I've tried creating new vswifs and vswitches.

Please help!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ANSA
Expert
Expert

Is the network card configured for 'Autonegotiate'? If so, change it to reflect the speed of the link.

0 Kudos
nuco
Contributor
Contributor

No dice. It still has the same delay, and it can still ping the default gateway.

0 Kudos
ANSA
Expert
Expert

This issue seems to be with the network rather than the ESX host. Verify the configuration of the physical switch port or use a different port on the switch on the same VLAN.

0 Kudos
nuco
Contributor
Contributor

I've used 3 different switches, 2 Cisco, 1 Dell. I have another setup the same way as far as I can tell. The only difference is that it's a Dell 1950. When I run the "route" command, it immediately gives the 3 routes. There is no delay.

0 Kudos
nuco
Contributor
Contributor

\*Update*

I've installed CentOS, installed a new NIC, changed ports, VLANs.... the ONLY way I've gotten it to work is to change the vlan to 1 instead of 20. It doesn't matter which NIC I use. When I add a new default route, there is still a delay when I run the route command.

Looks like the problem is with my VLAN. It doesn't matter if I'm using the VLAN on the Dell 2724 or the Cisco 2970. The default VLAN on the network is 1.

Does anyone have a clue as to how to resolve this other than having all of my CentOS/ESX boxes using VLAN 1?

0 Kudos
jkgraham
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is doing your routing between VLANS? I am not sure if any of the switches you mention are layer 3 capable.

0 Kudos
nuco
Contributor
Contributor

Cisco 3550

I got it to work by using this page: http://blog.scottlowe.org/2006/12/04/esx-server-nic-teaming-and-vlan-trunking/

What's odd is that I have it working on another VI3 box plugged into the same Dell switch, and I haven't had any issues with it.

0 Kudos