VMware Cloud Community
Techno_Techie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Cannot ping my esx server

hi all,

i hope you can help, this problem has been driving me mad for some tmie now !

First a bit of background....We have a Compaq ML760 running esx 3.0.1 attached to 2 SCSI drive arrays. At the weekend this system was powered down by our outsource partners to replace the UPS in the rack. Upon powering it up we'd lost communication with the drive arrays....a new enclosure, few new drives and rebuild of the RAID latter we have an ESX that boots to the log on screen with no obvious errors.

So, the problem is that since then we can't ping, or connect in any other way to our ESX server. Now, before i go any further i feel it's worth mentioning that i am by no means a linux/esx expert, i know enough to log on as root and run a few commands.

I've read various threads around this issue and none seem to apply to my circumstances. Not only can i not ping my ESX, when i log onto the ESX i can't ping any other device, even the gateway. i've had a look at the configuration (shouldn't have changed during ups upgrade!) and it all seems ok to me, feel free to correct me, the info is here :!esxcfg-nics.JPG!

any ideas would be appreciated !

thanks in advance,

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jujo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adam- I had a very similar problem in my test environment once. Everything looked fine, all the settings were correct etc...but no ntwk connectivity. I had to delete my network config and rebuild it. You can try it just a little at a time to see if it works. Try creating a new vSwitch, move your Service Console to it, and assign a nic to it with the proper vlan info. See if it works then. That should give you an idea if there's some kind of corruption with the current ntwk config.

This site will give you all the commands needed to accomplish these tasks:

http://b2v.co.uk/b2vguide2vmware3.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Techno_Techie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

looks like my images didn't insert properly, here is the output in plain text:, apologies for the formatting !

esxcfg-switch -l

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports configured Ports Uplinks

vSwitch0 32 3 32 vmnic1

Portgroup Name Internal ID VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VM Network portgroup1 0 0 vmnic1

Service Console portgroup0 0 1 vmnic1

Switch Name Num Ports Used Ports Configured Ports Uplinks

vSwitch1 64 3 64 vmnic0

Portgroup Name Internal ID VLAN ID Used Ports Uplinks

VMotion portgroup3 0 1 vmnic0

esxcfg-vswif -l

Name Port group IP Address Netmask broadcast

enabled DHCP

vswif0 service console 147.167.205.29 255.255.240.0 147.167.207.255

true false

0 Kudos
Jujo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adam- I had a very similar problem in my test environment once. Everything looked fine, all the settings were correct etc...but no ntwk connectivity. I had to delete my network config and rebuild it. You can try it just a little at a time to see if it works. Try creating a new vSwitch, move your Service Console to it, and assign a nic to it with the proper vlan info. See if it works then. That should give you an idea if there's some kind of corruption with the current ntwk config.

This site will give you all the commands needed to accomplish these tasks:

http://b2v.co.uk/b2vguide2vmware3.htm

0 Kudos
sat1979hya
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Whether from ESX server you local IP is pinging. Also check with the network connectivity and port's connected.

0 Kudos
mouse77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Is correct that does not respond to ping the ESX servers. Because the firewall is enabled.

You should use any program that uses the SSH protocol, Eg. Putty.

Edgardo Morgan

<div style="text-align: left"></div>

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

u can test disable firewall

first list the numbers off and on chkconfig --list firewall

service firewall stop

chkconfig --level 2345 firewall off

**If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for

"Correct" or "Helpful"**

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The hardware is listed in the HCL ?

look this http://communities.vmware.com/thread/107918 (Cannot ping ESX Server)

*If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful"*

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
Techno_Techie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi all, thanks for your replies. i can confirm that all the network cards are patched into live ports. i have disabled the firewall and chkconfig --list show firewall as off.

i still cannot ping the esx from another device on the network. ESX can ping it's own IP but no others. Any other ideas ? if not i may be tempted to do a reinstall !!

0 Kudos
sat1979hya
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have seperate VLAN / whether the gateway IP is properly configured? On the other note it is not necessary to reinstall the OS instead you may try re-configuring Network alone.

0 Kudos
Techno_Techie
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks Jujo,

this solution has fixed my problem. i had vSwitch0 (service console) connected to vnic1 and vswitch1 (VMotion) connected to vnic0. when i unlinked them and linked them up the right way round Vswitch0--&gt;vnic0 etc i can now ping my esx ! still a little unsure how this problem arose but i'm glad it's fixed !

thanks to all involved !:D

Adam

0 Kudos