VMware Cloud Community
gottapulse
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot configure Raid using PERC6i RAID controller

Hi,

As an ESX newbie I am using an evaluation copy of ESX 3.5 on a Dell Poweredge SC440 with a Perc6i Raid controller and 2 SATA disks. During install the os recognises these as virtual a disk but I have not been able to configure them for RAID 1. If I was installing Windows or Linux I would use Dell Server Assistant to configure this before installing OS. I have tried using this tool but as ESX server is not listed, selected Red Hat Enterprise 4. Unfortunately the ESX CD is spat out. As far as I can see, all hardware is compatible with ESX. Is there a way of configuring this or should I just remove the controller and re-cable in order to obtain 2 physical disks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

During the boot up, you should have the option to enter the BIOS of the Raid card.

You will have to watch the screen to see which keys to press to initialize this.

Once inside, you can then create your RAID configuration.

Good Luck

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
0 Kudos
gottapulse
Contributor
Contributor

My first posting on this site and I end up giving wrong info. The RAID controller is a SAS5/i not PERC6i. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

0 Kudos
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hey,

So have you tried gettting into the RAID card configuration from boot up yet?

Good Luck

~y

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OM 5.4 should have ESX in the list of OS. It helps you configure the RAID and you can insert ESX CD and start the installation the usual way...

Bala

Dell Inc

Bala Dell Inc
gottapulse
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Bala,

Thanks for the info, downloaded the latest OM iso (5.4) and although it purports to support ESX in the documentation it is not in the list of OS's during install. Will see if I can configure in the BIOS now I have established that IS means Integrated Striping and see if that works within ESX.

0 Kudos
gottapulse
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info, see reply to Balacs

0 Kudos