VMware Cloud Community
davene
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot access VMware management

I have a server running VI 3.0.1 running on redhat that has been in place for quite a while. I had a hardware error that halted the machine. After restarting the machine, the ESX server boots fine. I can login through the VI client and start the VM's. However, after a few minutes, the VI client loses connection to the ESX server. At that point I cannot reconnect the VI client unless I shutdown and reboot the server through a command line.

If I try to start and stop or even list the vm's through a command line interface, I get the following error:

/usr/bin/vmware-cmd: Could not connect to server

(VMControl error -3: Invalid arguments: Login failed.)

I noticed that the httpd service is stopped. When I try to start it from a command line, it says OK. When I check the status it says it is stopped.

I have searched quite a while and have tried all sorts of things with no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

When you say you are using the command line are you accessing it through the machine console or via an SSH client like putty? If you are not using an SSH client can you try connecting to the ESX host using an SSH client?.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
davene
Contributor
Contributor

I can access the command line from both the machine console and an ssh client (putty) with no problems.

0 Kudos
runclear
Expert
Expert

have you tried bouncing the vmware hostd service?

>mgmt-vmware

-

| VCP[3] | VCP[4]

-------------------- What the f* is the cloud?!
0 Kudos
davene
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I have tried restarting the mgmt-vmware service. That does not fix the issue. I have tried restarting various services with no luck.

0 Kudos