VMware Cloud Community
ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Cannot Connect to Web Management Interface in ESX v3.5

Hello,

I just finished installing ESX v3.5 onto my Dell 2900 III. It boots up fine, but I have 2 x 4-port NIC cards in addition to the two onboard NICs. I could have sworn that I set the IP address up on one of the onboard NICs, but I do not have any IP connectivity after booting up.

I've actually tried plugging into every NIC port and it doesn't work.

Unfortunately, I'm not a Linux Guru, so I can't figure this out. I've done ifconfig and can verify that "vswif0" has the IP address I set up at installation, but there is not IP connectivity. There is link on my switch.

Can somebody help me ASAP?

Would greatly appreciate it!

Eddie

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Yattong
Expert
Expert

Hi,

Is this an automated build?

Have you done a esxcfg-vswif -l? This will show you the details on the vswif0. It maybe disabled???

If you do a esxcfg- and then press tab twice, you will get a print out of all the different commands. Doing a --h after each command will give you the help page too.

Good luck

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points ~y
ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.

The interface name is "Enabled" and the Port Group is "DHCP", although I assigned it a static IP. Don't get that one.

The management interface says "False" though. What else should I be looking for?

I did a -E to enable all, but when I did a -c it returned with a "0" saying it's not working. I don't get what's happening and how to resolve it. I have no problem rebulding that interface, so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I only ask for specific directions, if possible.

0 Kudos
ubisec
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, also, it wasn't an automated build, but I used the GUI installation wizard. There, it asked me for the IP address info and I gave that.

Thanks,

Eddie

0 Kudos