VMware Cloud Community
vwman
Contributor
Contributor

Candidate for virtualization

I am looking for a software package that will determine if a physical machine is a good candidate for virtualization. I assume that it would look at CPU, memory, network and disk IO for a recommendation.

Thanks

Scott

0 Kudos
6 Replies
torra
Contributor
Contributor

Move a physical machine into a VM and let it run as a single VM on the same hardware. You will probably just loose some percent performance of CPU, memory, network and disk IO for the virtualization. But you have the advantage to easier give more performance if you need by changing hardware without new installation.

So I think the software would have to search for hardware components that won't work in ESX virtualization like USB-License-Dongles, Backup-Streamer, OpenGL graphic power, or things like that.

If you don't have such components every physical machine is a good candidate.

Marjan

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You should use VMware Capacity Planner, that should give you a good idea if it is a good fit to be virtualized

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Move a physical machine into a VM and let it run as a single VM on the same hardware. You will probably just loose some percent performance of CPU, memory, network and disk IO for the virtualization.

Not entirely true. Often you will see no drop in performance and maybe even an improvement. Most physical servers aren't being fully utilized and often they are on older hardware than a new virtual environment is being built on.

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Scott,

As Kyle mentioned, the VMware Capacity Planner is great. You will need to connect with a VMware partner or VMware Professional Services to get the Capacity Planner. Another option is PlateSpin's PowerRecon - Contact sales and ask about a demo or trial license. It really boils down to whether or not you want to do it all yourself or have outside help with the process.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
Craig_Baltzer
Expert
Expert

If you want to "do it yourself" (as opposed to engaging a VAC partner who has access to the VMware tools to crank out really sexy reports BTW Smiley Happy) you can try the following:

1. If you have VC already installed you can use the Consolidation component from VC for a very basic estimate. It will go out and gather up a bit of data then give you a recommendation. Its the "Consolidation" button up on the toolbar, and there are some additional settings under Administration menu, Consolidation Settings...

2. The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit (MAP) is also pretty good. Its focused on Hyper-V/Virtual Server, however the data it gathers and the recommendations are directly applicable to ESX... . The reporting looks very similar to the VMware Capacity Assessment tools that a VAC has access to (wonder where they stole errr... I mean "embraced and extended" those from...)

vwman
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks everyone. That helps a ton.

Scott

0 Kudos