VMware Cloud Community
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Can you install Dell OMSM on a VM ?

All.

Can you install Dell OMSM (3.2) on a VM ?. I'm using Server but I'm sure the same would apply to ESX based VM.

Install program gives the error ..

"This is not a supported Dell server... etc" as it checks the dependacies, has a peek at the BIOS type and doesn't see Dell..

Thanks

Clive

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think 3i is going to make matters even worse, as the service console is gone - well at least as far as management agents will go. It will be interesting to see what Dell and others come up with.....

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking at the "Installing DellTM OpenManageTM Software in a VMware® ESX® Server Software Environment" document at it appears that ESX and DELL hardware are both going to be required.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

There is a certain irony that the software to manange a "VMware® ESX® Server Software Environment" is one of the

few pieces of software I've found which is incapable of running in a "VMware® ESX® Server Software Environment".

Bit of a shame really. I build this lovely new system and then run a flea-blown 1850 to look after it!

Will it run a box with ESXi I wonder ???

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think 3i is going to make matters even worse, as the service console is gone - well at least as far as management agents will go. It will be interesting to see what Dell and others come up with.....

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Can I know why you want to install OpenManage in a VM? OM is used to manage the physical server, so it runs only on the host OS and not on the guest OS (which sees only virtual hardware).

Bala,

Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Bala

I was hoping to use IT Assistant to collect and monitor SMNP traps coming back

from by my DRAC cards.

Thanks

Clive.

0 Kudos
balacs
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

IT Assistant can be installed in a VM. When you use the CD to install, chose "Management Station" option to install IT Assistant.

Bala.

Dell Inc.

Bala Dell Inc
ctfoster
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

OK - I've got the right package now and it's installed fine.

Thanks for your help

Clive.

0 Kudos
tekmouse
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ct, what was the package you used? I have the OM_5.12 and it only gives me two options when I am installing it.

'Thanks,

John

0 Kudos