VMware Cloud Community
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

Can't ping host ESX ip's

I can't think of anymore things to try.

i've gotten as far as installing ESX but can't add the host in VI.

Can't ping the IP's (i have 3 boxes setup) .. and can't ping anywhere from the ESX box out.

On these blades previous were win2k3 with the same IP's and everything was good. So we can rule out switch config/ip conflicts

I've restarted networking,disabled firewall on ESX, and checked the IP's which are OK. Any suggestions???

0 Kudos
11 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would make sure you have VMware Tools installed on all the VM's. Then I would make sure that you can ping the VM from the VM itself. Try to ping another VM on the ESX Server.

You may want to make sure that your outbound nic is attached to your vswitch as well.

You mentioned that you can rule out switch/ip conflicts, have you actually looked at you switch config from within the VI Client to verify that it is setup right?

cd.

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

I currently don't have any VM's installed. Just the base ESX server for now. I can't add any hosts through VI because it can't attach to them

1. Where in the VI client can I look at the switch config?

The vswif0 contains the config for the IP

eth0 is not configured

2. How do I check the outbound nic is attached to vswitch?

Message was edited by:

rongill

0 Kudos
dbis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ron,

From what you are describing, there is no network connectivity to the service console. This means that you will not be able to use the VI client and will need to verify your settings command line.

To see the service console configuration (for all service consoles if more than one defined):

esxcfg-vswif –l[/b]

Most likely you will only have the default " vswif0" interface.

If the ip information is not correct, use the following command to resolve this (provide your own ip configuration):

esxcfg-vswif –i 1.1.1.1 –n 255.255.255.0 vswf0[/b]

To change your default gateway edit the following file:

/etc/sysconfig/network[/b]

Then restart the network services by using the following command:

/etc/sysconfig/network[/b]

If all of this is correct and you need to identify what NIC is assigned to the service console perform the following command first:

esxcfg-vswitch –l[/b]

This will show you the vswitch that the service console is assigned to (default vswitch0) and the uplink for the vswitch (default vmnic0)

Now find the physical nic associated with the uplink, you need the following command:

esxcfg-nics –l[/b]

This also shows you if the link is up and the speed it negotiated at.

Let me know if you need more help,

Daniel Bischops

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply daniel.

I've gone through what you said and everything looks good.

Ip/gateway are correct

The correct NIC is assigned to the service console

Uplink is vmnic0

The physical nic is associated with the uplink and it is UP and speed 1000.

0 Kudos
dbis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ron,

Are you using VLAN tagging for the Service Console?

You can check this by running the "esxcfg-vswitch –l" command, the VLAN ID for the portgroup would be set to any value other than "0"?

Assuming you are not using VLAN tagging, could you try a crossover cable to a laptop and see if you can ping your Service Console? This would rule out any switch configuration.

Daniel

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

That just reminded me during the install I choose 2 for Vlan (Blades are on Vlan2) .. but I think thats the issue. I look into it tomorrow when I'm at work and let you know.

0 Kudos
dbis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can accomplish VLAN tagging with two methods.

1. You can assign a switchport to a particular VLAN and treat it as a regular switch port in ESX (no VLAN ID in ESX defined)

2. You can configure your switchport as a trunk and use 802.1Q vlan tagging. Then you need to define VLAN ID's on your portgroups.

If you define your switchport as a trunk, keep in mind that the switch (in Cisco's case) does not tag traffic on the default VLAN. This would cause problems if you are using this VLAN ID on ESX.

Let me know what you find tomorrow.

Daniel

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

I reinstalled and left the Vlan to 0 and all is well.

How do I change this from command line?

I am installing the VM's on the SAN I can see the partitioned LUN after I added the extent. There was already storage allocated on the local disk (50GB) and now it has merged them both together. How do I keep the VM's from installing on the local disk .. it doesn't let me remove it from the storage list.

Thanks Daniel for all your help. First time newbie /san/blade/linux. Learning alot though.

Message was edited by:

rongill

0 Kudos
rongill
Contributor
Contributor

I think this answers my 2nd question. It's a previous post by you.

FYI here are the fdisk commands you would use to remove the partion.

Start fdisk:

fdisk /dev/sda (assuming your drive is sda)

Now use "p" to print the partition table.

Now use "d" to delete a partition, it will prompt you for the partition number to delete.

You should have found this information when you printed the partition table.

Now use "w" to write the changes to disk.

0 Kudos
dbis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ron,

In answer to your first question, if you had wanted to change this from the command line without reinstalling you could have done this as well.

Assuming you would have wanted to leave your default vSwitch and uplink (vmnic the same. You could just change the VLAN ID for the service console portgroup with the following command:

esxcfg-vswitch -p "Service Console" -v 0 vSwitch0

This command sets the "Service Console" port group on vSwitch0 to VLAN ID "0". When the VLAN ID is set to "0" it will not perform any vlan tagging.

Daniel

0 Kudos
MtnDoo
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Ron & dbis,

SYS: DELL 2950/8G/2xQuad proc/2x26GB-RAID1 for ESX/4x 146GB-RAID5 for VMs/4x GE NICs

I encountered the same scenerio - I entered Vlan 10 - which is our server vlan where the ESX machine resides. I followed the commands in this discussion and removed the VLAN ID's - they were present as VID 10, and now read VID 0.

However, I did go into a boot menu of sorts via CTRL-E during startup and enter the host IP/mask/GW....changed the menu from DHCP to static.

Removing the static IP from the CTRL-E menu, and removing the VLAN ID (change to 0) allowed me to bring up the web interface.

Thx!!!

Corey..

192.168.10.2 = ESX Service Console

Message was edited by:

MtnDoo

0 Kudos