VMware Cloud Community
VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can't access VM Ware ESX 3.0 Server from a Diff Subnet

I am running ESX 3.0 and can not access the ESX Server froma diff subnet. I can access the VM just finr from the other subnets. I was told this is a Security setting. How adn wher would I change this? I can't eve ping the server yet i can the VM's on teh same supbet.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JeffDrury
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Does the vSwitch that is connected to the different subnet have a service console or vmkernel with an assigned IP address? If so is it possible to reach that IP address from the different subnet? If not it may be a routing issue with the network.

Could you post more information about the network and vSwitch configuration? Are you using VLAN's? What are your firewall settings? As long as you can reach the IP address of the service console from the different subnet, you "should" be ok.

VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have one subnet and No v-lans. I think this is a security setting on the ESX server it's self. How bes may i gather the other information you are asking? Where and how can I view teh ESX network Config / Settings?

Thank you.

VM Myke

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

On your ESX host, the management network, can it ping its gateway? If yes, then it's a routing issue. If it can't, then it may also be a routing issue. Can the ESX host ping other hosts on the same network segment? Then, it's not a Layer 2 issue, and is definitely a routing issue.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, from the ESX server I can ping the PC that I am trying to Manage the ESX server from. i can not access the web page on teh ESX server at all from teh workstation. How can I look at the network setting on the ESX server and the security?

VM Myke

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Ok, if you can ping your client from your esx host, then routing is not an issue. Have you verified that you don't have windows firewall enabled and running on your client?

-KjB

0 Kudos
VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I get the samething with ehwindows firewall turned off adn I have no other security soiftware. Is there a security that is on the ESC server that let's it only be managed by the local subent? I recall somthing from my VM Ware class about this.

I can i check the network setting on the ESX Server froma worksataion that i am able to access the ESX Server fom???

thank you for you help!

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Not at all. I manage my hosts from a different subnet and have no issues. There is nothing by default that is preventing this.

Since you can ping the client from ESX, but not the other way around, I'd say there's some kind of network config mismatch. Does your client machine have the same subnet mask as esx? I've seen one-sided issues occur when masks don't match.

-KjB

0 Kudos
VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am lost then it's a QA environment I can grant you access via RDP if you provide me with a log in ID and PW that you would like to use.

I am just plane lost a this point and am not so sure I am asking the right question in the first place.

Kind Regards,

Taylor

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Just sent you a pm

-KjB

0 Kudos
VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just sent you a pm to you with the INFO

0 Kudos
VMMyke
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found the ip address was in our Firewall as a a one in a pool for remote VPN users was all teh issue was. I thank you all so MUCH for your help.

0 Kudos