VMware Cloud Community
ckboon
Contributor
Contributor

Can't Open vConsole

Hi,

I moved a new ESX 3.0.2 server to a new location and changed the necessary IP address and information. I can ping and ssh to the box using the new IP address and manage the box via VI client. The license is installed locally as there seems to be a problem communicating with the central license server.

I tired to open the console of a VM and it keeps telling me this:

"Error connecting: Cannot connect to host 192.168.....: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not ..."

I am stumped. Because I can ping the box, access the box via ssh, web browser & VI client. So what's wrong with the error message or vConsole???

Can anyone help? Thanks.

Forget to add:

I can RDP to the VMs using my WinXP notebook, in a different subnet. This shows that the VMs are running and ready for connection.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
amarnathreddy19
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

As per my knowledge, delete all the vswitch and again reconfigure.(follow these steps if your vms are in lab .. don't do if they are in production)

Amar

0 Kudos
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If using VC this could be because of a DNS issue...

As a test I edited my local windows host file with a invalid entry for one of our ESX host. I can manage the host using the IP address, but I cant open up a console..

But this only seen to apply when I open a console using the VC server...

So verify the DNS.record which points to that host..

Just my 2 cents...

/Rubeck

JaySMX
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I agree with Rubeck, VC is very dependent upon name resolution. When you attempt to connect to the console, the VC client will try to resolve the host and establish a connection to it. If that resolution fails, you get an error like this.

I recommend entering all your ESX hosts into your local HOSTS file, if it's practical.

-Justin
ckboon
Contributor
Contributor

Replying to both Rubeck & JaySMX, my laptop's hosts file contains all the ESX servers IP address & hostnames. I will check my DNS server that's running on the VCMS as well as all the ESX hosts.

0 Kudos