VMware Cloud Community
dwilli
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can an ESX 3.5 host see shared storage on a Windows server?

I want to free up some space on my ESX 3.5 hosts by moving a few archived VM's to shared storage on a windows server. Can it be done and how do I connect?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aguacero
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX supports NFS which would need to be installed on your windows server. http://nfsforwindows.com/home (example - quick found via google).

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!
0 Kudos
konabumm
Contributor
Contributor

we are using nfs on windows for backing up templates - it's slow but works

0 Kudos
ascari
Expert
Expert

i don't know if i'm correctly understand: you have some powered off vm? and you want move it in a windows server space?

You can use winscp or veeam FastSCP (more faster than winscp) to copy vm files in a windows share. (and veeam need some tcp open firewalled port on esx host)

If you need use this space for powered on VM you can share this space as a NFS with FreeNas.

All depending from your environment.

I hope this info can be useful

Bye Alberto

0 Kudos
rossb2b
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Since you are archiving these VMs do you intend to run them from the Windows shared storage? If not you could use Winscp to copy to files.

0 Kudos