VMware Cloud Community
viking_es
Contributor
Contributor

Can VCB reliably coexist with a MS SQL 2005 server

We have a SQL 2005 server connected to our SAN that I would like to use as a VCB server. This SQL 2005 server is very lightly used and is running on a fairly overpowered machine (DL380 G5, 2 x dual core 3.0 Ghz Xeon 5160, 4GB RAM). Is it a bad idea to run VCB and SQL 2005 on the same box?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

It is not a best practice to join any SQL 2005 server or VCB servers role in a production environment. It will get more performance hit activities during these two servers. But in theory, you should be able to install VCB on it with extra HBA card and make sure the OS level is compatable with VCB. If you're looking for guide on VCB implementation, go to www.viops.vmware.com and search for VCB or Chris Skinner guides has plenty of solutions for 3rd party integrations as well.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
Sly
Contributor
Contributor

I do not know the criticality of this database, its size or its actual utilization, but if your SQL 2005 db is used lightly and is small enough, then just move it inside of a VM. I know this is not a best practice for a database, but for small, lightly used databases, this has worked fine for me and others I know.

0 Kudos