VMware Cloud Community
violet68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can VCB Proxy, VC, Backup server on the same server ?

Hi all,

Can i setup the VCB proxy server on the same server with VC and Backup server ? all 3 in one server ?

I read somewhere it says you can not do it, i dont know why ?

it is something about Power path?

thanks

I have 2XESX 3.0.2

VC : 2.0.2

VCB 1.0.3

I have one physical backup server and have VC installed on it, the idea is to install VCB proxy on it as well.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Technically, yes, you can set it up this way. However, if you do set it up like this, don't plan on using any VM templates, as they will not work. This is a known issue with VC and VCB residing on the same server, and thus why it is not a "supported" configuration.

Well after reading Tex's post, Is this something they fixed with the release of 3.02, 2.02, and 1.03? I was not aware of this.

-Jon-

Message was edited by: crazex

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Yes that will work, it is what I do actually. Make sure your Server is pretty hefty and has the proper HBA (FC, iSCSI, NIC) for the SAN/iSCSI connections. This configuration does not affect VC.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky, author of the forthcoming 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise: Planning and Securing Virtualization Servers', publishing January 2008, (c) 2008 Pearson Education. Available on Rough Cuts at http://safari.informit.com/9780132302074

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
doubleH
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

hey edward....is this something new? i was under the impression that VCB and VC on the same server is not a ** supported ** config. do you have any documentation that states this?

thanks

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpfull/Correct buttons to award points
0 Kudos
crazex
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Technically, yes, you can set it up this way. However, if you do set it up like this, don't plan on using any VM templates, as they will not work. This is a known issue with VC and VCB residing on the same server, and thus why it is not a "supported" configuration.

Well after reading Tex's post, Is this something they fixed with the release of 3.02, 2.02, and 1.03? I was not aware of this.

-Jon-

Message was edited by: crazex

-Jon- VMware Certified Professional
0 Kudos
violet68
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response,

I am still looking for the doccumentsaying that we cant install VC , Backup server and VCB proxy on the same box .

If you guys run across this statement, pls post it here.

thanks

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As far as I know this is fixed in the new releases of VCB/ESX/VC indeed Crazex, but I can't find the documentation to back this up.

Duncan

Greg_Fe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The documentation for using VCB and VC on the same server is in the VCB 1.1 Release notes, page 4.

"VirtualCenter 2.5 and Consolidated Backup can coexist on the same system. However, since the VCB proxy should be locked down as much as possible, VMware does not recommend this setup."

0 Kudos